Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good bass for detuning down to a C??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman60, Feb 27, 2004.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hey guys I'm looking for a good bass that would sound good tuned down to a C, four string preferably. Any suggestions?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Alder Sub Contra :p.. Have fun.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hi-C. Mmmm orange flavored goodness. JK.

I think if you just get yourself a good bass and take to a luthier he/she should be able to set it up for whatever you want. My luthier took a crappy Epi Les Paul and set it up to tune to C and it sound great.

5. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    i reccommend a 5 string

6. 35inch scale, heavy heavy strings.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    A company called "Overwater" actually makes/made a bass called the "C-Bass". It's a 36" scale 4 string meant to be tuned C, F, Bb, Eb.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Get a 4 string, any one you like. String it with lighter gauge BEAD strings (.120, .100, .85, .65 or some such) and tune BEAD up a half step (Which is EADG down two full steps). The resulting tension is about the same as regular EADG, so a truss rod adjustment might not even be nessicary.

Having spent long hours detuned, and long hours tuned up a half step, I'm one to go with the tuning up half a step.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Beware. Many a (normal) 4 string nut will not accommodate this increased string gauge (slots too narrow) and may crack.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which is why a Dremel tool is your friend. The one I use actually has four different gauged sanding heads that are, conviently, pretty much the same gauge as a .130-.56 BEAD set of strings.

I's also reccomend and open-channel brige, so that gauge isn't an issue (it can be with the standard Fender style bridge that has holes to feed the strings through, not open channels, like ABM, Hipshot, and others).

11. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I agree with Brendan.

My P-bass needed no adjmnt (even nut) going BEAD with light strings. Up a half step would be easy.

BTB

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stingray's have a nice growl when you tune them low. I used to keep mine BEAD, and I used light gauge strings, threw all my G strings in a pile and it growled like a mofo.