1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Bass for Fingerpicking

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joesaintcool, Sep 16, 2008.

1. joesaintcool

joesaintcool

Sep 16, 2008
    Hello there,

Wow these forums are cool, I'm very glad that I happened across them. Basically, my first question is this ...

I have been playing bass for nearly 5 years and I have grown quite intimate with an acoustic bass that I picked up - it fits my funk / groove style really well and I've come up with some really good ideas using it. Apart from conventional bass fingerstyle, I use a lot thumb / finger alternate picking (much like a guitarist would fingerpick a guitar) to get a nice rhythm, tune out of it

However, I have recently formed a band and we need to start recording. However, my acoustic bass sounds terrible through it's pickup and I was looking for a bass that is likely to give me a nice time when recorded straight from the pickups (and through my mini-amp)

So, basically - are there any basses that are well suited to this style? Or are there any bassists that you could recommend that use a similar style, so that I could investigate which equipment that they use?

If you could give me any help than I really would be thankful

Cheers muchly

- Joe

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sounds like Jeff Berlin uses a similar style, and so you might find that one of his signature Dean Jeff Berlin models works well for you, sicne they're built with that kind of playing in mind. Also, you might want to look into trying to find one of Jeff's old Peavey signature models, the Peavey Paladium.

3. joesaintcool

joesaintcool

Sep 16, 2008
    Wow! Thank you so much for recommending him

He reminds me a lot of the way I play, except that he is much better. I'm glad that I have a level to aspire to. I will also begin checking out which stores stock his signature basses so I can have a play on one

Thank you very much :)

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Glad to be of help. Yeah, I think it's fair to say that Jeff is a lot better than us lot! :D

5. The probable reason your acoustic sounds bad is that there is likely to be an impedence mismatch with your amp input. Run the bass's output through a preamp before it goes to the amp and I'll bet the sound improves radically. An ART TubeMP would work....or at least it does for mine.

Read Bob Gollihur's review of the Applause AE-40 bass (I have one) and you'll get the idea from the last paragraph of the review:
    http://www.bgra.net/reviews/applause-ae40-rvw.html

6. joesaintcool

joesaintcool

Sep 16, 2008
    Thank you :)

I had never considered running a pre-amp before but I know that my friend has a stack which uses one, so I will try and see what sound I can get out of that before I buy one (or a new bass, or both, depending on finances)