1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good bass for Funk and Rush? New and need help pls

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3pieceCA, Sep 3, 2017.

1. 3pieceCA

3pieceCA

Sep 3, 2017
    Hi,

I'm a keyboard player who became a drummer who's really into guitar now who needs a bass. I've been thinking of getting one for a long time because every time I go into GC I pick one up and think 'this is the funnest thing ever!' even though I don't exactly know what I'm doing. Anyway, finally want to take the plunge. Willing to go up to $700-800. Tried a MIM Jazz and Blacktop, and the an Ibanez SR505. The 505 was so easy to play, the blacktop had a Monster tone and the Jazz - well, it's a Jazz. I mean Geddy plays a Jazz. Anyway, I grew up on Graham, Edwards, Geddy Lee and Chris Squire and am hoping to find something that will allow me to play the bass side of my more prog stuff and learn to slap and play funk. I've been reading here for a while and learned a bunch but haven't really seen a thread that addresses this. Can you recommend some good choices in my price range? Thank you.

UPDATE: I learned a lot these last few days and want to thank everyone. 123 responses - I'm floored - you guys are the best! I decided to go with an MIJ Geddy after spending a few hours at two stores yesterday - testing everything people suggested that I could get my hands on. Of course, that just made me GASsy - now I want a Rick - and a P bass - and a Stingray - and a.... :) Looks like I'm going to be able to deal with someone here in TB classifieds, which hopefully is a first step to give a little back for everyone's generosity. Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    75kva, smperry, JazzBass1949 and 2 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Welcome to TB! Based on your budget and description of what sound you're looking for, the MIM would be a great choice, I think... plus, they usually get great reviews within these hallowed halls. Good luck, in your search, and definitely peruse the 'Classified' section of TB...

... be careful... it's addictive.

3. 3pieceCA

3pieceCA

Sep 3, 2017
    Thank you so much. I can already feel the GAS coming on. I ended up with 7 guitars - god help me if basses are as addictive. :)

So, do you think the combo - the special edition deluxe like this (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...PersonalizedViewCP#pr-header-back-to-top-link) is a better choice or just the straight Jazz?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Those basses get rave reviews around here.

That being said, PJ basses don't sound exactly like a P or a J in my experience.

Based on your first post I agree with @Spidey2112 on all counts.

The jazz is calling your name.

I have a ton of gear and most of it came from the TalkBass classifieds. We police ourselves strictly. If someone has a good track record here you can pretty much bank on them.

Bass tone is no different from trying to find the perfect guitar tone, drum heads or synth action. It's a never ending quest. If you came here looking for your "one and done" bass you came to the wrong place. ;)

5. Fender and ibanez are both great brands for a first bass and have obviously caught your eye so you're on the right track. There are a plethora of basses that can work for funk so ask yourself which one you like the sound and feel of more. Funk is more in your fingers than the bass itself in my opinion so try to find the bass you like playing the most.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I play a lot of the music you mentioned, and sounds like either a Fender Jazz or a bass you haven't mentioned yet, a Stingray bass (a US Ernie Ball might be out of your budget but perhaps a Sterling) might fit the bill. I love Ibanez basses and currently own and have owned a number of them, but sorry, nothing does funk quite like a Stingray or a Fender Jazz or P. I'd recommend checking out Stingray basses, these are very punchy sounding basses.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Helix, interp, pcake and 2 others like this.
  7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    FENDER.... Why not the Geddy Lee Model.... I am sure it will be good for Rock and Funk. I believe its in you price range.

75kva, PeterH, Johnny Crab and 4 others like this.
  8. 3pieceCA

3pieceCA

Sep 3, 2017
    Cool! I'll check tomorrow if my local GC has one. Thanks for the lead.

9. 3pieceCA

3pieceCA

Sep 3, 2017
    I just found those after getting the thumbs up above on the Jazz. So, I've spent the last hour looking on Classifieds here and everywhere else for just that. I imagine the thinner neck will be a bit more like the Ibanez - which I really liked. I'm going to check the Stingray (above) but also on the lookout for one of these. Thanks, :)

Pbassmanca, Bassist30 and Nev375 like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Jazz.

Period.

No.

Exclamation point.

exidor, Wisebass, design and 10 others like this.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If you're trying to sound like Geddy, and Geddy used a Jazz, get a Jazz.

12. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Sounds like you want versatility, and Ibanez is very good at providing that via their EQ. If you can move up to the SR6xx series (or higher), you'll get the Nordstrand pickups which have a nice growl, especially when you dig in.

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Geddy Lee and Larry Graham have both used Fender Jazz Basses.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Get a good Jazz. One that feels and plays comfortably. Then if you think it could sound better get the pickup upgraded. You'll have the best of both worlds and a keeper.

3pieceCA and gsgbass like this.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    All you need is a P-bass, tort and flats!

I'm kidding. That's a running joke around these parts. Welcome to TalkBass!

Although P Basses do sound nice. That's not the tone you are after.

I recommend the Geddy Lee jazz or any other jazz that feels good to your hands.
    Or any Ibanez that gets you that sound. There are lots of basses with jazz pickups!

KDK likes this.
  16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    First, welcome aboard the good ship Talk Bass!

As to the concern, above.... Well, now. You do realize basses are _more_ addictive, dontcha? Just ask anybody here...

J-Bassomatic and 3pieceCA like this.
  17. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    A bass for Jazz and Rush songs?

Difficult...

Let me think...

Maybe a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass?

(Sorry, but Fender Jazz basses are actually pretty good, and can cover pretty much everything.)

KDK and gsgbass like this.
  18. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Fender Jazz. One of the best basses for slap in addition to being able to dial in a Geddy Lee sound. For $700-800, you can probably find a used American Deluxe. IMHO slap sounds better on an active bass.

KDK and 3pieceCA like this.
  19. A good used Fender MIJ Marcus Miller jazz bass ... heavy but sounding very well for the style you have in mind also because of its onboard preamp :thumbsup:

Milo's, funkinbottom and 3pieceCA like this.
  20. Definitely a jazz bass. But model isn't as important as the particular bass. I would play a bunch, you'll lay hands on one that really works soon enough.

TrustRod and 3pieceCA like this.