Good bass for Funk and slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jul 4, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    I know this has prolly been posted before but whar do you guys think a good bass for funk and slap would be? mainly just funk but if there is one with funk and slap thats cool.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    EBMM Stingray
    Modulus Flea
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Music Man Sting Ray is the best and if you have the money the Modulus Flea Bass is great,and Jazz Basses are great basses for funk and slapping style too.
  4. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    The most asked question on tb?
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    3rd most, right behind P vs. J and pick vs. fingers.
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    no,the most asked is(suggestion for new bass) :p
  7. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    oooh, didn't think of those.

my 2cents:

nice fender j.
  8. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
  9. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I like an Ash/Maple Jazz for bright slap tones.
  10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I can't avoid to join this suggestion. I'd add: Double humbucker pups plus piezo bridge. As far as I've seen, piezos seem more associated with kinda acoustic tone (fretless, for instance), but I love blending the magnets with the piezos for slap. IMO, the piezos (where have them been all of my life?) give even more aggressivity to the slap tone of this excellent bass. And the neck humbucker is not a problem for slapping (at least to me. It's just a matter of getting used to that, and it didn't take so long)
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  12. So... the most most asked question would be:

What bass should I buy for funk/slap and should I use fingerstyle? What is better a P or a J and what is the best bass of all? :bag:

Mmm, thing T_T might have posted something very much like this question just recently....... :D
  13. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm gonna keep it simple and just compare single coils versus split coils. If you want a Vintage Finger-Funk sound a nice Vintage P would be in order. Jamerson and George Porter Jr. (Funky Meters) (Flatwounds) give a great finger funk tone. If you want a slightly more modern, more P-Funk type of tone, a Jazz bass would be in order. The single-coils will give you the ability to get that Vintage Slap tone as well as a more than decent finger-funk tone.

BTW, you might want to look out for people saying things like F Bass and MM Bongo. Granted, they can be good, even great for funk, but let's talk about price and a seriously modern tone first.

14. Look no further than Cort's own Funk Machine!!!!!

J freaking K!!!

I'd say just about any jazz bass should do you right... Even a p/j would work IMO.

I think, that it's the player, not the gear. You can slap on anything, and it's up to you to make it sound good.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ......And picking up speed around the outside is "blah blah blah SADOWSKY blah blah blah!!!!!"

(by the way, they are good for funk!)
  16. I like an alder/rosewood J bass with the bridge pickup soloed and the tone rolled off a little for fingerstyle and an ash/maple J with bridge pickup soloed for slap tone. A compromise would be an ash/rosewood or alder/maple J. Either way, roll off the neck pickup and you're in business. I'm a J fan myself, but Stingrays and Moduluses (Moduli?) are excellent basses, what with the humbuckers/J pickups being in the right spot. However the tone is much more modern, almost hi-fi, so the J might be more versatile in that it's got a more traditional tone.
  17. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    One of my guitar players has a Marshall stack and the other guy has a Fender Twin Reverb. We play loud speed-metal head bashing retro acid rock. Will my 100 watt V4BH keep up? Maybe I need something bigger like a 300 watt combo amp? :D
  18. Haha yes! Always bashing on those V4Bs (it's true though, except they sound like heaven to me so I can deal with it)
  19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 Here's my Lakland Joe Osborn-best bass i've ever played
  20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think most peeps are trying to cop Marcus' slap tone right now, so.......

Fender Jazz with a East pre?