Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass for HardCore ....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Looking for 5stringer... mid priced.. for HardCore music style! Anyone can suggest one ?

2. I dont think it really matters what kind of bass you have for any musical style, especially one where you wont hear the bass all that much, but I would go for a Stingray 5, which is the choice of many HC bassists.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd have to second the Stingray 5, if you shop around enough you can find one with a few nicks for about $700 w/HSC. You can pump enough treble and mids outta that thing that you'll be heard through the mix. I know its my weapon of choice :p

4. Stingray5.

5. I swear by the SR5 for metal hardcore bands like aria bloodjin or pantera. But I found a Spector CRF5 string with the EMG/aguilar active section and while its a little more HI fi its has more than enough head room and bass on its own to rip. Plus the difference between the two is totally different on weight neck and wood. The spector is like a battle ax ..its hard to even dent it!! Got it for about 600$ on harmony central...keep your eyes peeled.

6. if you're talking about old school/posi hardcore, most bassists use either a fender jazz or p bass. but if you are mistaken hardcore for numetal/metal, you might like an ibanez.

7. I had a Yamaha BB605 that was great for aggro music. My buttrocker guitarist LOVED that bass. I sold it just to piss him off. He wouldn't turn down.

8. G&L L2500 Tribute:bassist:

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yup.

I own one of the american G&L L-2500 and have played his and they are very close as far as quality and feel goes, and identical in tone.

I used my G&L L-2500 in a several hardcore bands and it rocked.

Now Im also using Jazz basses. Drop in some EMGs and an aguilar preamp into a jazz bass and you are set.

Peace
    Nick

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My weapon of choice for hardcore is a Warwick Corvette. I love the tone, got mine for $650 new on sale. Lot's of hardcore/ punk/ hardcore punk bassists use either Jbass and Pbass'. If you want to spend more money and go a higher end bass, Ric's are very good for the genre, and popular. I guess it comes down to what feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears, there is no set bass for a certine genre only stere-o types. Plus what do you consider hardcore? A lot of people have no idea what hardcore is.
    Hope I helped,
    peace
    -Ben

11. ditto. decide what sound YOU want and find the bass that gives it to you. who cares what others use, do your own thing! :)

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
  13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    One more time :D :D

14. Is it just me or do most of these oldschool hardcore bands use Jazz basses because slim necks and ease of playing? I dont usally here many that cut thru but then again your amp has alot to do with the bass you choose on cutting thru thick guitars. Almost every show I play at the guitarists have huge rigs and the basses is left with some small ampeg head an a 2x10 cab. That just wont do it no matter what bass. But again Jazz basses do rule to.

15. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Old School players didn't use five strings. The ld school bass of choice was the Rickenbacher 4003.

16. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i found one at the local GC for $300, but it was a four string. if i had had the money i would have bought it and gotten a new paintjob done. it looked like someone had been throwing rocks at it. this guitarist i know just talked to me today about starting a hard core band. i have a peavey millennium 5 (USA version). its a little heavy for hardcore playing, but ill get over or ill get my old bass fixed. i see a lot of fender jazzes ans p's. they seem to be the top choice. i have also seen...well...ive seen a carvin and music men (is that proper grammer? would it be music mans?) and i have seen an olp used by a really big name hardcore/something else band beloved. ive seen a few ibanez ergodines and i have seen a G&L sb-2 (it kicked butt). all of these i have seen used by hardcore bands just in the last few months. i go to shows once or twice a week so i notice these kinds of things. so, as you can tell from above, you can use whatever you want, as long as you are comfortable with it.

17. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Fender P or maybe a Danelectro...a lot of punk-rock and HC bassists use those two.
    If you're into modern tone you would probably like Spector...

18. warwick corvette 5

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    If you're into true punk hardcore, you'll be laughed at with a 5 stringer!
    If you're into the more metal side of hardcore, you can go with the 5 string because it almost a prerequisit to have one nowadays even though most of the players really don't need the added string. You can just play a 4 dropped down to B or C, or whatever you need.
    When I played true hardcore, my Ric was the be all end all for me. Defintley had enough mid to cut through. Old P-basses, and J-basses seem to be the standard though. The more beatup the better as a matter of fact.
    Also, the hardcore bass sound is more a product of your amp and amp settings. Distortion can be used as well to get a sound that cuts, but I preferred a pedal eq where I could crank up the treble and the gain to get a really fast clanking sound.

20. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Tnx, for opinions!! HardCore i mean, is more old school stuff like, Sick Of It All etc. Not the nu metal bull**** ... (sorry)
    But tnx anyway !!!