good bass for live?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EpyGit, Jul 7, 2008.

1. EpyGit

EpyGit

Sep 26, 2006
    well, my band just started playing live shows... and i am looking into a new bass.

i play hardcore/pop.
    i also like to jump around when i play.

so.... im looking for something for less then $550 (give or take a few bucks)

anny suggestions.
    you can also instant message me on AIM @ "andrew x isflyy"

thanksss :D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Jazz bass. Does everything.

3. zao144

zao144

Jul 6, 2008
    Lodi, New Jersey
    i use my ibanez btb on stage. its a little heavy, but im a big dude. i got my mine for like 600.

4. weather

weather

Jan 18, 2008
    Lakewood, Ohio
    I just got the Schecter 004 from the diamond series. Try one at GC if you can. I tell you, you'll love it.

5. MIM P Bass

Big, fat tone and it's a tank.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    use any bass you like playing and treat it well.

7. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    ibanez sr500 or one of the btbs. schecter also makes very good basses in that price range. Of course if you're a fender guy you can get a MIM or etc for around that price range as well.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    +100

9. I got a Squier VM 70's Jazz bass, a case, SD 1/4 pounder pickups, straplocks, and new strings for about $400, and it's working great in my indie/hardcore band. Don't write it off because of the name on the headstock. It's a fantastic bass for cheap.

10. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    p-bass

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Some basses are just not that giggable in my experience. So I recommend trying a few before deciding.

A stock SX, Indonesian Squier (except the VM series) and an Ibanez SRG Gio were all terrible live IMO. Even my MIM Fender P needed Basslines pickups before it cut well enough to use on gigs (IMO).

Depends what/how you play though. I play in a 3 piece band and clear articulation on bass is very important. I have a couple of friends that play stock SX basses for blues and punk and are very happy with them.

My recommendations in your price range would be a used MIA or CIJ Fender Jazz or Precision.

12. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    you can get a used G&L tribute for ~$400. i have a L-2500 and used to have a L-2000. both great basses - huge tone, huge balls, lots of versatility - great all-around modern sounding bass. those humbuckers are massive. it looks like the ASAT is the same bass with different style - and you can never go wrong with a P/J (in g&l the sb-2 i believe)

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    MIM P-Bass and J-Bass - both are definitely giggable in stock form.

14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    My band sometimes does long function gigs of around 2 - 3 hours. My Warwick Thumb BO was causing me pain afterwards, due to ergonomic and weight (and me being unfit!). I got myself a Yamaha RBX4 A2 which has helped me consisderably.

Yes it's not the same tonewise, and it's playabilty is slightly less easy (well, I'm still used to the warwick's feel), but the better balance and lightweight is a godsend!

15. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Schecter Stiletto Custom

Light as heck
    Tough
    Looks good
    Plays good
    Sounds Good.

comes in Red, Satin Black, black, and my choice natural. $549 at MF.....but I paid $350 at GC. $399 for Blems at ZzSounds.

[​IMG]

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021