Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Bass For Low End?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, May 29, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I have a Fender MIM Jazz right now, and I'm not getting the defined lows I so desire. I'm in a praise band, and it doesn't really fit the bill. Speaking of bills, I'm barely able to pay them, so I'm on a rather tight budget. I was thinking about getting an Essex precision and then replacing the pickups with a Bartolini 8S pickup. Of course, I'd put on some flatwounds. Is this a good idea, or is there a way to get more low end out of my jazz?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like a good plan...love the SX's...

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just put a set of dimarzio ultra jazzes in my bass and the low end is massive. This is just straight into the computer's sound card; it sounds like booty heaven through an amp.

ht?tp://www.angelfire.com/oz/bardolph/fingerJ.wav

copy and paste the link without the "?"

4. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    it might be your amp or the sound system you are playing through....you shouldn't have any problems getting bass out of it

5. I just put these in my mim jazz. http://www.bestbassgear.com/dimarzio-model-j-pickups.htm
    Not only can you hear the difference you can feel it!!! A whole bunch of people here seem to agree. You could also just try wiring the stock pups in parallel. I did that for abit and liked it, way more booty and costs nothing.

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I believe you mean Series, not parallel, since pickups wired in series yeilds a much fatter, more "midrangy" tone than parallel wired.

Also, J-basses are wired in parallel as stock.

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1 stick di marzio's in = problem solved. Dont change the bass if you like it otherwise.

8. Oops!!! I always mix that up.

9. I would start with the lowest cost,that being the strings. try a set of flatwounds on your current bass,you'll be suprised what a difference a different set of strings will do,especially flats. then if that did'nt get you the results you want you could try different wiring options like series\paralell..if that don't work,then maybe try different pups..but I would'nt be suprised if the flats give you what your looking for...it all starts with the strings.. ;)

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    yep, it starts with strings, but unless you're playing Jars of Clay, Out of Eden, etc Praise music, I'd go with rounds. I play gospel like Hezikiah Walker, Fred Hammond, Kirk Franklin, etc and I need the low end rumble (and slap tone) rounds give me. Myself, I'm looking at changing to DR Low Riders or MM Fats.

Also, the dimarzio pups are a good suggestion as well... and I'm a Barts person!

11. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The fat beams are nice...you'd like 'em Mr. DC. I'm glad someone out there is listening to Fred Hammond. Every bassist should hear his stuff even if you're not into gospel music.

12. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Dude...Mr. DC...I just looked at your profile! I just happened to buy a house in Urbandale and I've been dying to find a church that's laying down the stuff you're talking about. Shiloh Baptist, huh? I'll have to make it over there this next weekend. Peace, bro...

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Fred is a baaaad bassist!

And stop by anytime!! All next week is Pastor's Anniversary and going from Sunday - Sunday, and we'll be layin' it down.

....welcome to Urbandale!!! It's a great spot to be in. I'm on Holcomb Circle, a few blocks from Merle Hay Mall.

14. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    What time does the service start tonight?

...and it looks like the church is right off of SE 14th just south of the interstate?

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    No service tonight....but the Anniversary goes from June 5-12 and night services Tues, Wed, Thurs (I think).

Praise Team starts @10:00 on Sunday, The evening program starts @7:00.

Hit me with an email for more info, so we don't hijack the thread and get one of these...:scowl:

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I would say go with one of these...

[​IMG]

:ninja:

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Before you spend any money, why don't you play with your amp settings? If you are happy with the tone, but need more bass, then boost that frequency.

The praise music I've heard (very little) is all boom and no definition. Boost bass, leave the mids about 12, and cut treble on your amp. Use the neck pickup on your bass, roll off the tone control, and thumb pluck at the end of the fretboard. That should be plenty bassy.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    When I think of low-end definition and clarity, a P bass with flats is about as far from that as you can get.

You'd probably have better luck getting that sound changing out the pups in your Jazz and using good clear rounds (like Fodera Diamonds) than getting a P bass.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's funny-I've heard a minimal amount of praise music as well, but it's all been the opposite; deep, clear tone with great lows. Ken Smith and MTD-type of tone.

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    2 of the most popular luthiers in gospel music, I might add