good bass for metal and punk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric##1, Jul 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric##1

Jun 24, 2000
    what is a good bass that plays metal and punk? and is a 4-string.
  2. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eric##1:
    what is a good bass that plays metal and punk? and is a 4-string.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, Eric, if you find a bass that plays ANYTHING, let me know!
    Seriously though, YOU'RE the player. Go out and try a bunch of basses and buy the one you like best. Most basses can be used to play any style of music.

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Siff:
  4. holderman

May 25, 2000
    Hey! I play punk with flats!
  5. BassoOstinato

Jul 31, 2000
    I think one way to decide is to research what the bass players you admire are playing.
    Check out several players to see if they have something in common. For example, Fieldy plays Ibanez basses. Jason Newsted has played Sadowsky basses which are expensive. I don't know what the punksters are playing. Look at the maker of the basses, but also see what is cool currently. Is it safest to buy a black bass? Is it safest to buy a wood finish bass? Should the tone be bright or fat or "woody"?

Try out several basses at the store that have the look and style of what your favorite bass player is using (but not the cost, as well known bass players are pretty much playing high end basses). See which of the basses feel most comfortable for you to play and fit your pocketbook.

In metal and punk image is important. When I played in some different metal bands I had a black Jackson 5-string like Dave Ellefson of Megadeth used to play. I stuck a little skull sticker on it...three dimmensional. It just added that extra little touch that made that bass look great for metal music. It would look like heck in a country or Christian pop band, though.

For me, picking out a bass is great, great fun. The only hard part is falling in love with a beautiful bass only Jason Newsted could afford. It's hard to leave the music store and leave the gorgeous basses behind on the wall. So have fun in your search for the perfect bass for you. OSTINATO

[This message has been edited by BassoOstinato (edited July 31, 2000).]
  6. BassoOstinato

Jul 31, 2000
    I forgot to say that metal players can be more creative in their bass styles or have more agressive looking basses than those who play other styles of music. I'm thinking of Gene Simmons' B.C. Rich Warlock style bass he used for a long time. That may be uncool now, but some other agressive looking shapes may be interesting if you can find one at a price you can afford. OSTINATO
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa.....NO!!! Dont go and buy what someone else is playing just because they are playing it!!! That means nothing!!!!!! BADBADBADBAD EVILEVILEVIL! You said Fieldy plays Ibanezs, but the ones he plays are NOT accessible to people in stores, their $5k custom ones. BUY SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS GOOD, WHO CARES WHETHER SOMEONE ELSE PLAYS IT!!!!! Buying something because your idol plays it is the WORST advice you can give. You arent going to sound like fieldy with ANY ibanez. Ostinato, check out "Looks vs. Talent" in "Bass Gigs and Humor." If youre one of the Looks people, ill cry. You should buy a bass for the SOUND, not because "its cool." Thats horrible. And to buy it because someone else uses it? Worse!!! BUY IT BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GOOD, REGARDLESS OF WHO USES IT OR WHETHER ITS "COOL" OR NOT.

BTW, a Music Man Stingray would be my favorite choice for around 1k, or less.
  8. I've been seeing lots of punk and metal people using Musicman stuff lately.
  9. I play a Musicman Stingray 4.. and it is a great bass for metal or punk.. plus you can play slap, jazz, and funk as well if you'd ever need to.. It's a very good choice if you've only got $1000 to spend.
  10. holderman

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I use a StingRay too for this kind of music. It's great.
  11. add in another vote for the stingray. here are some reasons (bass players who use(d) them.

The guy from PM2K
    Guy from No Doubt
    Adam somthing from Fenix Tx
    Mark hoppus of Blink 182 (used to)
    Trent Reznor of NIN (I have a picture of him from his recent tour of him playing a Stingray)

there has to be a reason why all these guys chose their instruments. they are all stingray users. the other choices that players use for Metal would be the Fender Pricision Deluxe. i hear that one is really good for metal, and just so you know, the bass player from Deftones uses one.
  12. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    A lot of Punk players use either a Jazz bass, P-bass or a Musicman... rarely will you see them play anything else... maybe a G&L... but Ibanez is more of the "rapcore" style.. metal player usually use the light japanese made basses.. with a few exceptions... Get a G&L.. I did [​IMG] they sound great and I got a 5 string with a case for 890 bucks
  13. Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Yeah dude, for Punk you needa get a Fender P-Bass (i actually kinda like them. God help me, my Anti-Fender days are over). Roger (LTJ) & FatMike (NOFX) both use them, and they seem to generate the pretty punky sound.

I sleep past noon but that's okay, i'll be president someday...

14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000

"The guy from PM2K
    Guy from No Doubt"

Hey the guy in PM2K is Dorian 27 & the guy in No Doubt is Tony Kanal.....just adding that....i like the way they sound...for punk/metal get a Jazz,Stingray, an active Dean or an active Ibanez...they all sound good.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just wanted to say Tony Kanal (of No Doubt) hardly uses his stingray. His main basses are Yamaha BB1600's, but yeah, he uses some. Stingray all the way!

Edit: And he uses BB3000's.

[This message has been edited by MegaAngus (edited August 04, 2000).]
  16. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I really don't think you can go wrong with a Precision. Though my fretted Carvin adopts a nice edge when picked...

17. Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    First a disclaimer, play what feels and sounds good to you, not what the masses play. That said, I remember going to punk shows as a wee lad, and the weapon of choice was almost always a beat up p-bass, covered with stickers and strung with the roundwounds it came with. Keep in mind, this was the late eighties, and most of these guys were drunk and/or didn't no how to play. Not the best model on which to base your next purchase, but oh the nostalgia.
  18. j_d8

Aug 3, 2000
    I agree with Siff....go out and try a can play metal and punk with many bass....I play metal with a great bass...
  19. why is everybody saying PM2K? it's PM5K.
  20. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Not to mention Warwicks. Check
    and click on famous users. Expensive, tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.