Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass for/Most played bass in Gospel music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Since we had a thread not to long ago about most used/seen bass in country music, why not have one about gospel music? I'm quite curious since i listen alot to it right now :cool:

How has it changed thru the years? Has it changed?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Elite gospel players, especially Black gospel players, tend to favor extended range boutique basses like MTD, Ken Smith, older Tobias basses. I have also heard Peavey Cirruses used too. Personally, I used a Musicman Stingray 5.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    6-10 strings.

Go big or go home.

4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use a Sadowsky Metro and a Ken Smith bolt on. Both very versatile and both sit well in the mix.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The last time a thread like this came up, I think the consensus was Ken Smith as a mainstay, with Lakland and a few others in the running.

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Ken Smith 6's are probably the most predominant bass I've seeen over the past 5 years or so. I've been playing a lot of Gospel & Christian music shows of late and I get the opportunity to see and talk with many of the bassists, and the Smith really seems to get the nod here in the regional north-east.

MTD's are far less common than the old Tobias basses. I haven't seen any "newer" stuff like Cirrus, Spector, Warwick etc.

It seems like the older Smith stuff is the status symbol for the praise bassists ... if you have it, you're cool. BUT, if you strap it on you better be able to play it. I have to say that my FBB fretless 6 has been pretty well received, as well.

I'm not sure how many 6 string basses Ken Smith has made in his time as a builder, but the in-demand status of his basses is a credit to his beautiful tone. And that status symbol mentality has likely kept the re-sale value of the basses high, as well :) I know I'd like to have one ........ :crying:

7. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been using my JP basses for Church/Gospel music...my worship leaders love the tone :D Sometimes I'll bring out the Nordie..Ritter..F...curbow...Fodera...just to hear a different tone :eek:

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    And here I thought it was a sin to play anything but a fender, shows what I know.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, that's motown.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Ken Smith? MTD? Older Tobias??

Dang,

What do 'gospel players on a budget' play?

I guess I can't afford to play in church!

:eyebrow:

Joe.

11. The Lord will provide. Just ask Him in prayer what bass to play...

Randy
    WWJP
    Ken Smith.
    Smiths have been Building Basses for Jesus since 33AD.

12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    :D Yeah, I know what you mean ....... a lot of these players have some pretty serious instruments. My first bigger festival-type show I walked in with an SRX505 and felt completely out of place :eek:

But seriously, the Christian/Gospel/Praise community is really terrific .... very open and warm and supportive. It isn't what you're playing or even so much how you play, just the fact that you're there is so greatly appreciated. Realize, too, that many, if not most, of these regional bands do not get paid for playing, so those high-end basses are coming from somewhere ........ prayer does work :cool:

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I second the idea that you should not worry about what you see others playing. The main thing is that you play and learn to play well. As another poster said, if you have a big Ken Smith, you better be able to play it well! I would, however, try to get a bass with a solid B string. You will need it to keep with all of those keyboards.

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I recall some of the "working stiff" Introduce Yourselves profile snippets in recent issues of Bass Player (Joe Nerve was among those snippets) had bassists who played in church but used Ibanez Soundgear or Spector Legend basses. Though there was another praise bassist in there who's main instrument was a Fodera, so...

Tash- gospel/praise music utilizes the low-B quite extensively, so a 5 or 6 string bass with a solid B is a must for gospel/praise music. And IMO, Fender basses generally don't have very good low Bs. Fender makes a killer 4-string, but their 5's are ehhhhh.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Country?

16. Ken Smith, yes. But if you listen to enough Black Gospel, you'll hear some J Bass-inspired basses, (Sadowsky, Benavente, etc) with lots of Marcus riffs to boot!

Also, if you look at the Roscoe website and click on "owners", you'll see quite a collection of Gospel players who play Roscoes.

***For clarification -- Christian music, Black Gospel, and Praise-and-Worship are each individual genres and radio formats. Bassists in each catagory have their favorite instruments. For example, I don't know if I as a bassist would grab a Warwick to play Black Gospel.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, I did overlook Roscoe in my initial post. I remember seeing the bassist of the Mississippi Mass choir use one around 1995. I used to have a Roscoe, it wasn't real bright, but it had a wonderful B string.

18. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Basso brings up a good point about the different genres .... I guess for clarification I should say that my point of reference would be best described as Baptist Gospel .... although there are multiple genres at the festivals ........

Also, I would agree that Roscoe's would seem to be a pretty cool fit with gospel, kind of surprised that I don't see them at all. The Sad's do show up with some of the contemporary Christian groups ........

19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hehe.

20. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I mostly play my Status Retro-Active 'J', but I've played everything I own in church. I play a lot of Wednesday evening services. I leave straight from my day job and head to church. I can leave the Status in the car all day long in 100 degree weather. The graphite neck is impervious to the heat. Yeah, it's little warm when I get there, but other than that it's sounds great.