1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bass for school band

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Aug 29, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm going to play electric bass (hopefully) with my school band after marching season, so I figured I would start looking now. I didn't want to move my MIA Fender Deluxe V back and forth between school (nor do I think it's possible considering my bus situation...), so I want a good, less expensive (like under $500 at most, but hopefully below $400) bass to keep in my locker.

It doesn't have to be a Jazz bass. I'd actually like some variety. I would prefer five strings just for playing scales, but I never use the low B so that's not a huge deal. Active electronics is a plus, but not a big deal. If possible, maple fretboard. And uh...it's gotta sound good.

So what would you all suggest? At the moment I've been looking at the G&L Tribute L2500. But I've never actually gotten to play one so I'm not sure if I'd like how they sound. Also, the recent price increase has left be a little hesitant.

Are there any other basses that I should be looking at? I'm sure there's a ton, but what would you pick?

Thanks!

2. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'd suggest an Epiphone EB-3 or Thunderbird for a low-middly burp. On the higher end of the spectrum I'd suggest a Fender MIM Jazz or Precision. On the south side(but only in price), I'd suggest the Squier VM Jazz or Precision.

My .02.

3. Spector ReBop. Pull that trigger and you'll never go back. I guess they'd push your price limit a little though, they run around $500 on eBay but they're worth every penny and the don't depreciate much (if any) if bought used and you decide to sell.
    Some people swear by Ibanez Soundgear basses so i would encourage you to check them out. I'm the only person i know that can't stand them so i'm speshul.
    Whatever you get research the crap out it before you buy; look at reviews, random opinions, soundclips, everything to make sure you're getting a bass that you like because being stuck with a dud blows... hard.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why spend the extra money for a 5 string when you're not going to use the extra string? Unless you want to dance around in 3rd and 4th position, just stick with a 4 string.

That being said, I have a huge Fender bias, so I'd suggest a MIM P-bass to get some variety in your instruments.

5. Squier VM?

6. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Ibanez or yamaha they are versatile reasonable and you can go all the way to rock stardom with them

7. +1

I know there's a 5-string active Jazz available.

8. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i say a Squire VM Jazz. Great bass for the cheap budget and surely it will do good in a school band.

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    +1

10. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Well, I played my bass in band for the pep assemblies, basketball games, and for concert stuff with the wind ensemble, and I used my Jazzes. I too rode the bus and tugged my bass with me all around school. I NEVER left it in a locker in the band room. that's just careless. But if you're playing bass in with the band, it doesnt matter what it sounds like. you cant play it too loud. its not like its a rock show. you have to just fit in and fill the low section in. Four strings should be enough. i did my Circle of fifths scale in just under 20 seconds with my 4 string jazzes, so it shouldnt be necessary to get a fiver just for scales if you arent gonna use the B. Just get an MIM Jazz. It's really a great investment, they're great instruments. Not too expensive either, and they sound great.