Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Bass for Slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pugz, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Im looking for a new bass which is good for slap. I've found that my current Epiphone Thunderbird lacks the kinda of punchy sound thats good for this. Can anyone recomend a nice bass for slapping thats around £/$450.

2. There's the warwick rockbass, mine seems to slap well.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    knew it before i even read your post.

Fender Standard jazz bass.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Here's some basses IMO that have a slap friendly tone:
    MM StingRay
    Fender Jazz
    Spector
    Modulus
    Roscoe
    I'm barely decent at the slap technique, but I don't sound as terrible slapping on my Roscoe.

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Ya rockbass and mim jazzs are cool but save and get something like a second hand vette theyre like 600-700 but they have a very doublesided style.. some like em... others hate them... but id advise 1 :)

Fair does for slappin a thunderbird... Brave man!! :bassist:

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Any Jazz bass :bassist:

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Does anyone find the output on the E and A week on a jazz or am i just playin crap ones :eyebrow:

8. +1 ... try it, and if that leaves you wanting more, keep in mind that a pickup change is easy, and somewhat cheap. It completely changes your sound too, but I guess I am starting a whole other topic of discussion.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Usually its vice verse, the G is seen to be weak. Try raising the E and A side of the pickup(s).

10. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Like over hear[ireland] it is basically seen that a jazz is used for finger picking while a P-bass is for plecs? i mean i havent tried but what does a P sound like for slapping?

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO a slapped P-Bass sounds pretty good. The general opinion on this forum is that the P-Bass' tone isn't as well suited for slapping as the Jazz. I agree the Jazz does have a more refined tone, which may be better suited for the thumb-thing. But many 70's Funk/Disco hits were recorded by players using P-Basses.

I'm very biased on the Jazz vs Precision debate. Let's say I like the one with the single split-pickup better :) .

12. Big difference between £450 and $450. For £450 you can probably find a cheap Status Graphite bass if you are in the UK. They are built for slap. For $450, I have no idea, I am not familar with that part of the market - maybe an Ibanez Soundgear or a cheap Tobias model.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You must be playin week ones. first of all the most important factor in the so called slap sound is setup 1st and fresh strings 2nd. without those two no matter what you play with will sound like ass. jazz basses lend to the thump and pop stuff due to the two seperate pups and where the pups pick up vibration. Early 70's jazzes have a more midrange (what I call a cluck) to their sound due to the rear pup being closer to the bridge. It is very important for thumpers to keep fresh strings on their basses for optimum clarity and thump.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

That's a pretty shady price bracket you've got there...might wanna narrow it down.

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Anything that's not an Epiphone/Gibson or Ric.

16. j-bass

j-bass

Feb 5, 2004