Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good bass for smaller hands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by discosammy, Sep 11, 2003.

1. I currently have a 5-string Fender Jazz Bass (made in Mexico) but the neck is a little wide for my hands, which are small.

I'm looking for a 4-string that'll be kinder to my reduced finger-span, priced in the $500 range (I can't spend more the $100 +trade-in value).

From reading through posts, I see Fender The Urge or Kubicki X-Factor mentioned.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

S

ps, i'm looking for something that works well with multiple styles of music...

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Ibanez SR series have the slimmest necks I have ever played. I have on on sale in the classifieds forum.:D

3. The aforementionned Ibanez SR is a good choice, if you like the tone. They have very thin necks.

If you like your neck rounder yet quite skinny, the Fender Jazz Bass is tough to beat, IMHO.

4. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i have have small hands too.

when i first started playing i noticed it more then i do now. i guess you just sort of get used to it after awhile..... well i still dont use my pinky at all(ive been working on it) but i have to change my whole hand form to use it....ok now im just rambaling

like i said you just get used to it.

good luck in finding the bass you need.

5. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I too have smaller hands. I have a sterling and a G&L SB2 Love the neck on both of those. You should be able to find a used SB2 for around 4-500.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    There is a Tune Bass Maniac for sale in the classifieds for dirt cheap (300 bucks) that would REALLY suit your needs. Very slim neck, top to bottom and front to back. Great playing and sounding bass.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a 4 string fender jazz bass has a very skinny neck, the skinnest ive ever seen. I have one for sale... PM me if interested.

8. Have you checked out the Ashboury?;)

Tiny bass for tiny hands

Matthew

9. I've personally played this bass, and its neck is very similar to a Fender Jazz, but, it's got a much hotter sound. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX400

It also plays and balances well. It goes for $399 at Musiciansfriend or Sam Ash. If I needed a not-too-expensive 4 string, this is what I'd buy. ;)

Also check out the new Yamahas, such as the BB404.

www.yamaha.com

Good luck.

Mike

10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Ibanez Ergodynes have super tiny necks, and they're regular long scale. Really easy to play, really comfortable. But the tone ain't nothing like a Fender jazz. Nice range of tones though (active eq).

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If finger span is your problem, then what you are really looking for is a shorter scale instrument. There aren't too many production basses out there in the medium (32" or 33") scale range, but there are a couple 30" scale basses that might do the trick for you. Maybe someone can help me out with the names of those basses.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ibanez for sure. My old SDGR 885 is so slim, it makes my stingray feel like a porker.......

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I used to worry about having smaller hands (or atleast I thought so anyway) But both teacher that I've had, have the same hand size as me and they don't have any problems.

Having a smaller neck helps but I wouldn't go for a shorter scale. IMO thats extreme for something that you can get over in time by stretching. There was a time when my first teacher told me that to practice stretching I should put my index finger on the first fret, keep it there and stretch over to the 4th fret with my pinky. I thought he was insane and I'd never do it. Now I don't have any problem. It just takes practice

Try this..sitting at the keyboard, on your left hand, take your pinky and place it on the "A" key..don't press down, just leave it there. Now try and stretch over to the ; with your index finger without taking your pinky off the A. I do this all the time at work and I truely believe its the reason why I'm much better at stretching across frets.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    well no wonder I'm brilliant - my hands are pretty small and I can reach the " key easily.

15. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    I am really happy with my MIM JB and this offers maximum playability for small hands - like mine. Also the prices are very reasonable. Speak about customizing to your needs with pups and electronics like J-Retro, new bridge and you still might fall into $500 range - maybe a bit over, but then you have a beast in your hands.

:bassist: - Jerry -

16. :eek: I can only go from A to L!!!

17. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    most 4 string necks are similar, but there are exceptions. No doubt the Ibanez SR necks are the thinnest. Slapping on those can be a mission for some people, depends how u like it.

good luck

18. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I agree that it's something you get used to. Also, a quality instrument with reasonably low action helps a whole lot.

I went through the same phase you are, hunting around for ways to accommodate my small hands (from the crease of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger is only 7 1/4 inches... thumb tip to pinky tip at absolute maxium stretch is 8 1/2 inches).

I played a 30-inch scale bass for a while, and a narrow-necked bass for a while (width similar to a Jazz bass).

But it wasn't until I got a decent instrument (a Steinberger XL2) that I realized the problem was really coming from having to deal with a high action. I could stretch much more easily on the better instrument because I didn't have to press down as hard to get a clean note.

I now play 5 strings easily and use all four fingers routinely. The only time I ever have trouble is playing a lot of repetitive 3 and 4 fret stretches down low on the neck (like a boogie, for example).

One more note: Shorten your strap. Play your bass up high, and you'll find that you can span the neck MUCH MUCH more easily.

19. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Here's where I used to hold my bass:

20. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    And here's where I hold it now. About 3 or 4 inches up from where it was. Making that change made it MUCH easier to stretch.