Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good bass for the "double bass" sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 16, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

Im playing in a concert band at school, and my teacher wants me to start playing the double in the band. Well I tried...and i just cant quite get it. PLus the size of it makes it pretty much impossible for me to bring it home to practice. So, do any of you guys know of any good basses to a get a nice double bass kind of sound? I'd prefer if it wasnt a electric stand-up type thing (if thats the right name ;) )

Thanks,
    ~JB~

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
  3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Rob Allen MB-2 or Rick Turner Renaisance nuff said!

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Arent rob allen guitars REALLY expensive? I'm looking for cheaper stuff...

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Palm mute a Precision with a Bassy EQ setting.

6. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I think dean makes a fairly cheap electric stand up bass. I played one before although I am too used to frets. :hyper: :hyper:

7. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    ya, the dean eub isnt that bad.....i didnt like it because i play double and am too used to the curved board....and the dean is set up like an electric bass with a flat board....if thats what your lookin for have fun....i just coudlnt get the feel

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have a Yamaha RBX-170F fretless P that is strung with tapewounds. It comes really close to an upright tone especially when you play closer to the neck or even over the fretboard. Actually it really sounds great, especially once you consider the <$250 price tag new...

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    some of those used Godin hollow-bodied basses go for cheap these days... keep your eye's peeled.

10. Ashdown. Get one of the Fender reissue ones. Note Ashdown in my avatar.

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Known as the A series. Really nice sound, excellent with Nylon strings or flats :)

Dan

12. I would vouch for the older Godins as well. A little more coinm, but they sound great with the right strings and technique.

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 Godins have a nice woody tone, and are really easy for bassists to play because of the silky smooth Jazz bass neck. I played one in a store, and it was REALLY comfortable. :D

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  15. I use an older MIM P-Bass with Rotosound flats, and a small piece of foam rubber under the strings at the bridge. I play in a small combo at the local Community College, and the Director loves the tone. :cool:

It comes real close to th DB tone. But he does have me working with thr DB to use next semester. He admits though, at this point it is only for the visual appeal. :D

................Jim

16. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Takamine B10 so far wins over anything else I've tried. The Azola Deco fretless would probably be similar, but more pricey. These are not cheap instruments though.

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Steve C - Wow, what a great looking bass :D Have you ever played these ? Not bad at ~$1200 +/-

[​IMG]

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Wendler or Rob Allen
    I've own a Wendler and there great.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    do you mean Ashbory? Didn't know Ashdown made basses.

20. I apologize for the corona-induced typos. Ashbory. Yes, this is a great quick fix for upright sound on the cehap. I like those exotic fretless basses too, but you really can't beat the price and portability of an Ashbory.