1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good bass for the "double bass" sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 16, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    A muted P-bass with the treble turned down, as others have suggested, will work fairly well, but I'd go for a hollow or semi-hollow first, preferably fretless. If you can afford one, a Lakland Skyline hollowbody fretless would probably be the best. Very deep, warm tones. They come up on eBay once in a while, so start looking and maybe you'll get lucky.

If not, several less expensive semi-hollow options exist, like the Ibanez Artcore basses, DiPinto Belvedere, Epiphone Jack Cassady signature, and Oscar Schmidt. I have the DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow, which is awesome. Using the neck pickup and the treble rolled off, it's getting near upright territory -- for an electric bass guitar, that is.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yeah, I do own a Wendler. I got a great deal on a used one. In talking to Dave it sounds like one of his early models.

I got mine for $300, but they are worth the $1,200 you pay for a new one. A very unique bass. Way better than hauling an upright around. Yes, nothing sounds like an upright like an upright, but this is a good substitute. Unless it was vital to have the upright, this will do nicely.

Dave is a great guy to talk to and work with as well. I had a couple set-up type questions for him and he was very helpfull.

3. I agree that the only thing that truly sounds like an upright is an upright. However, I have a Rob Allen MB2 (semi-hollow body with piezzo and tapewound strings) that sounds about as close as you can get!

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a Flea bass with ultra bright Ken Smith strings, super low action on a maple fretboard that gives the ULTIMATE upright sound.
    :smug: :bag: :p

5. How would the Flea bass sound remotely like an upright :eyebrow: ?

I would at least BORROW an Ashbory and show up at practice. Have it stashed in a book bag or small back pack.

When asked about the whereabouts of your bass, just pull out the Ashbory and plug in.

Things will get interesting.

I really have been eyeing that Wendler in the pic. Very elegant looking.

You can also get the Varimax, "twist knob and believe" upright bass. But it sounds more rock-a-billy, however.

6. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Ohhh man that is fantastic. This may be the bass I have to get when I get a fretless. I've been looking for a good way to emulate my upright with an electric. Uprights are just such a pain to haul around.

7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    +1 on the Wendler. Dave used to live here in Branson. As proud owner of the very first Wendler 5 string, I definitely can recommend it. Here's a clip of me and Dave playing Blue Bossa; you can hear the Wendler:

Blue Bossa

Glad to see other folks are catching on to what Dave is doing. His system is the only (that I know of) passive piezo sytem out there. He owns the patent, and it's a great system; it sounds like wood.

8. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Wow, that's almost word for word what I was going to post. I would just add that I've found the silversparkle ones to do a bit better job than the bluesparkle ones. ;)

9. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Dearmond Ashbory.

10. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156943

11. I strongly echo the comments of learning to palm mute on a pbass or any fretted bass for that matter. Palm muting will feel a little funny at first but man you can make your bass sound like an upright easily with that technique.

I spent 1000s looking for that sound and got pretty close with a rick turner renaissance for the mwahh sound of some uprights, but I have enjoyed the tone of palm muting for the thumpy attack of upright even more.

check this

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/lessons/mutelesson.html

12. I believe old fender jazzes used to come stock with felt mutes. you can get them for around 10 bucks at basspartsresource.com, or other parts stores. That, and some flatwounds could sound pretty low. I myself can get a very close upright sound on my brice violin bass, after I put labellas on it, and did some EQ tweaking. Truly though, nothing sounds more like a DB than a DB. I highly recomend you learn how to play, it makes you a much better musician, or so I've found.

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Do tacoma thundercheifs sound lie uprights???

I think a godin A4 or a ashbury would be the best choice so far for the price...

It is fairly vital that it sounds like an upright since I am in a concert band. totaly not jazz just classical stuff.

Thanks,
    ~JB~

14. I'd have to second the Godin reccommendation. They do sound pretty convincing. I owned a tacoma thunder chief fretless with black tapewounds and I didn't think it sounded anything like an upright. I did like the loudness and tone though. The USA Tacomas feel VERY fragile and are prone to knicks very easily.

So all and all I'd say do the real deal and buy and upright.

Palm mute

or Try a used Godin (my friend is selling a fretless one)

15. +1 Two important factors here:

1) Fretless (a must if your practicing for double bass)
    2) Tape wounds (I use LaBella) they really do produce a nice DBish sound.

One problem I DO see with using a bass guitar to practice double bass, however, is scale length. A typical BG scale is 34", while a double bass is 42".

Most people may think I'm nuts, but for a cheap practice upright that will sound quite good, I'd contact Mr. Wishnevsky at www.wishbass.com and see if he can cook you up an inexpensive 39+" scale instrument.

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    well I am learning to use the double bass, and after quite a bit of practice I can play it, its just a matter of the hassle of bringing it places that i dont like.

17. +1 for the Jack Casady suggestion.

Put the varitone switch on the lowest setting, and cut most of the mids on your amp and the Jackbass will sound almost like an upright with frets. :cool:

I've heard a few good things about the Ibanez Artcore too, though I haven't played one yet.

Mike

18. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Status Electro 3, hee hee...

19. bassbrother

bassbrother

May 9, 2005
    I play a Sandberg Custom thinline fretless. It has mahogany/rosewood hollow body and a maple top. There's a piezo pickup underneath this maple top. This give a organic, "double-bass" sound. http://www.sandberg-guitars.com

Attached Files: