Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass for the money.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Hey, I am saving up around $550 for a good used bass. And I want opinions on good brands for that price, I would like the best for the money, so used is probably the best way to go.

I am looking into the;

Lakland 55-02 5 string
    Ibanez BTB 406Q or
    Musicman S.U.B. (I hope these are cheap used)

I play Funk, Jazz, Blues, Progressive metal so I need something versitile, I was leaning toward the Lakland, My price can go up to $600 but not any higher.

Would you please tell me what kind of bass(es) are good for this price range?

Thanks a lot.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of those basses, the Lakland is the clear winner IMHO. Good luck finding a used 55-02 for that price, though.

3. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    These arent the only candidates, I would also like to know what you guys recomend.

4. embellisher

If you can get a 55-02 for that, that would be my first choice.

You should be able to get a used Cort Elrick Joh Paul model for around that, if anyone is selling a used one. Or a used G&L Tribute L2500.

5. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Lakland 5501!!!!!!!!:bassist:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You could get lucky and find a used Warwick Standard Corvette on ebay for $650. Ive seen it happen a few times.

7. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    thanks for the fast reply's, I was looking into the 55-01's also, and A G&L Tribute L2500? I thought those were more than $600, Ill have to look into those.

8. embellisher

The 55-01 is a great bass for the $$$ as well. My wife has one of those, and I play it quite a bit.

A used G&L Tribute L2500 would probably be around $550, if you can find one.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The tribute series are cheaper.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Fender, Spector, Schecter come to mind in that price range. Go try a bunch out see what you like.

11. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    ^^Bump^^

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oyea, Schecters, those kickass, and are aweosme for the price. Highly recomended.

13. yea.....those Schectors are nice...

hey man...check out the ESP LTD C series...I picked up the C-305 for 569 new and it is a fabulous price...my teacher likes it more than my G&L L2500, and I think it is more comfortable..

it has a 3 band eq, exposed emg pups,gotoh style bridge, neck-thru design with either quilted maple topped mahoganey or bubinga topped mahoganey...It is not only a beautiful bass, but it plays really well.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    have u tried the ltd b-305?

15. actually......I never got to try either of them..it was a big gamble but I read a lot of reviews and listened to songs w\ esp bass players to kinda get an idea of how it sounded.........the first one I looked at was the B series one actually.....it seemed really nice for the price and all, but then I noticed that the C and F series had 35'' scales....and I've been GASing for 35'' scale bass....so I basically picked the C series from there.

But I have heard from people that own it that it is a pretty damned nice bass.

16. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I think I might settle for the Skyline 55-01, I kind of like 5-strings and It looks and sounds really good. But I'am not purchasing it yet so keep the ideas flowin'.

17. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    ^^Bump^^

18. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

You can pick up a new G&L L-2500 Tributes Series Bass for $600 including gig bag. This seems to be the standard price Online and in my local music store.

Also, check out E-Bay. Right now there are two Lakland 55-01's available (I am not the seller of either instrument, just trying to help the man out). Buy It Now price is $550 & $650. They both appear to be in good shape. Just search ebay with the word "Lakland".

IMHO, the 55-01 and the L-2500 Tribute represent the finest Basses money can buy for under $1000. Beautiful, well made, great sounding instruments.

Good luck!

-Tom

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yo Vic,

Man, I thought that you only played Foderas?:confused:

Seriously, I would take the Lakland, granted you realize it is going to be a 'Skyline model' at that price. Just tried the S.U.B. a couple weeks ago... Not worth it IMO. Ibanez, not even gonna go into it:spit: !

Oh, Again IM'H'O!!!

PS. Try a MTD Kingston!

20. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Damn, I just played one of thoseMM P.O.S.... I mean S.U.B..... why would they make a musicman like that? Its better than my bass but, damn.

:crying: I wish I had Fodera's a 4 and 5 fretted and fretless...

Hey!!! My birthday is September 1st maybe you guys could... Damn that wont work!!!!!