1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bass for under $2000 in Canada

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nathanmcnathan, Aug 30, 2008.

1. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    Hey everybody! I live in Barrie, just North of Toronto, and I'm looking for a good-quality new bass. I'd prefer maybe a hybrid, but a good laminate would be better for me than a lesser-quality hybrid. I'll probably have about $2000 at most to spend on a new bass, after saving up my money and selling my current beginner bass.
    Can anybody recommend any good basses, and where they're sold? I've been looking into a Strunal at Heinls, because I've played other people's basses setup there before, and they all sounded and played great.
    I will most likely not have any more than $200 to spend, but I'm not looking for anything too expensive anyways, I'm a jazz player and I need a good bass to take to college in a few years.
    Thanks!

2. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    It'll be hard to find a hybrid for under 2, however you might get lucky. I have a strunal hybrid and it was 3, and I've put a bit into it after that. You can likely score a decent second hand ply for that much. Check the Long and McCuade and The Soundpost, they'll have something. Also, craiglist will surprise you from time to time. Good luck, bass hunting can stress you out.

3. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
  4. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    "I highly recommend Mission Strings in Toronto."

Their basses start at $2,995.00 which is 50% more than the OP has to spend....

6. Jake - Actually, their laminated instrument start at $500 less than you have stated.......read the catalog.....

The proprietor is very flexible with students, I know for a fact he has a used Christopher available, he is always getting basses in on trade....the point is, if you want a bass, you call around until you locate the best instrument in your price range, which is how I obtained a fully carved Sun bass from them.

Cheers

7. I purchased a Strunal from the Soundpost in July. Good people to work with.

Be aware though - after adding a cover, a bow, and rosin, the grand total with taxes was just over $2100. I checked out Heinl and they were about the same.

Good luck!

8. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    A student of mine just got a strunal from Heinl that was set up fantastically, with the bow, case etc it came to around 2200, I would suggest them, they do great set up work and make even a strunal sound 100x better than most that I have heard

9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I stand corrected.

They start at $2500, only 25% more before taxes than the OP has to spend.

10. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    Ok, so I have 2 covers now - one padded good one, one thin one that came with the bass. I'm working to save up the $1000 I need before I sell my bass, so after that I'll have $2000. I won't be able to spend any more than that, but I don't need anything like a bow or bag.
    So, the second I get the money, I'm putting my bass up for sale, and I'll be buying a bass over the next few days. I started this thread to get an idea of where to look for a bass, and I think I might go with Heinl's Strunal bass when I'm ready.

11. Pentabass

Pentabass

Dec 11, 2007
    Winnipeg
    My vote goes for bassesonline.com. Take a chance and get one shipped. You might be as happy as me with the beauties that Steve ships.

Now take the remaining $300, and get a good setup, locally.

12. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    Since you are weighing options, I would point out a couple of things.

It seems like you don't actually have the $2000 yet and are saving for it. Presumably that means that a few hundred more or less is mainly a matter of time. I would suggest that you look at as many basses as possible that are close to your budget and decide which one you want most. If it ends up being a $2300 bass then save the extra time needed to get it rather than rush into getting a bass just because it happens to be $300 less.

I would also check out ads in places like local newspapers or "Buy and Sell" type magazines. You'd be surprised what might turn up, and for a lot less money than in any shop.

As Pentabass just mentioned, if you like the setup jobs that Heinls do that doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy your bass from them. If they have the bass you want, great. If not, then find your bass elsewhere and get them to set it up.

13. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    sometimes you can get lucky with craigslist... check every once in a while, or even put up an ad saying you want to buy a bass... that's what I did and I got a great deal.