Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Bass Funk Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by joon, May 8, 2002.

1. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hi,

I'd like to get a book about playing funk bass, and since there are a lot out there and I can only afford a couple, could anyone recommend the most essential ones?

So far, the stuff I'm interested in are:

- Bass Builders '70s Funk & Disco Bass
    - Slap It! by Oppenheim

thanks!

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Get these two:

-Funk Bass by Jon Liebman (slap/funk)
    -Funk Fussion Bass by Jon Liebman (fingerstyle)

From the bassics to whereever you wanna go.
    I've found this link but maybe you can find them cheaper:
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0000035/details.ihtml

hope it helps
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

3. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Thanks chief. I checked them out, and, my problem now is, I want to buy only 1 of the two mentioned. Which one's better for funk?

The other book I'm getting is Standing in the Shadows of Motown by Dr. Licks.

4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    you're welcome.
    It depends on what technique do you want to learn/improve: Funk Bass is 100% slap while Funk Fussion Bass is 100% fingerpicking. Both of them have the funk feel and lots of great grooves/ideas to incorporate to your funk vocabulary. Don't forget that funk is not about Slap but about feel. The Motown book is highly recommended and since you're going to buy this, I'd get Funk Bass first and Funk Fussion Bass later.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

P.S. the CD in Funk Fussion Bass is better b/c every groove has a track, while Funk Bass has several grooooves in each track (therefore they are a little bit harder to locate).

5. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    I'd like to focus more on fingerstyle funk, actually, and just thought I'd get a slap book too. Is the Motown good enough as a study book for fingerstyle? Because the reason I'm getting Liebman's book is for additional fingerstyle funk lessons. For slap, I think I'd rather get Oppenheim's Slap It!

Thanks again!

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    you're gonna find a lot of useful info in the Motown book, but IMO, the Funk Fussion Bass is better to improve your fingerpicking b/c it has several section oriented to technique/theory, then a section with lots of grooves and finally, a section about soloing (lots of grooves here too). I learnt to play the entire book, but I go back to it often just to refresh my ideas an to keek the technique up there. You won't be dissapointed.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

P.S. If you can't read music get the Liebman book, it has tabs.

7. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    I can read standard notation, though quite slowly yet. But I'm working on it. That's why I try to aviod tabs as much as possible so I could (be forced) to learn standard notation.

Thanks again fran, you've ben very helpful. I'll be getting the Motown book and Funk/Fusion at Amazon. :)

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    you're welcome. you're going to enjoy those books.

keep groooovin'
    Fran