1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Bass-Heavy Gospel

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by trayner1, Oct 23, 2010.

1. trayner1

trayner1

Jul 1, 2010
    La Jolla,CA
    My worship band at church lacks in soul. I feel repressed and bored when playing those mainstream "4 chord" songs. They all sound the same to me. I want to experience God's gift of music in our songs, instead of the same thing we've been doing. The point being, I want us to play songs that have a lot of "oomph" and hit the audience like a train. EDIT: I'm not dissing on Christian rock, keep in mind. I just want to experiment a little.
    We usually do songs like "Everlasting God" and "Every Move I Make", but I want more stuff like: Raise It Up (skip ahead to 1:00) or Sharay Reed
    Now, I'm no Reggie Young, but I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for similar songs.

2. Dietrick Haddon (let it rise, He's Able)
    Mary Mary (Thank You)
    Martha Munizzi (Glorious)
    Fred Hammond. Pick one..

Randy

3. turindev

turindev

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida, USA
    I can never get enough of any of Andrew Gouche's Gospel stuff, although I don't have any albums per se. Some good stuff on YouTube though.. so good it hurts my feelings. :)

4. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    fred hammond is know for his bass drivin songs......

5. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    As has been shown countless times by the pop punk crowd you can take any song and spin it in a different light.

KEY/FEEL CHANGE - There is nothing that says you can't tweak the songs you're already playing and make them interesting. In your basic 4 chord song written on an acoustic guitar it can get REALLY repetitive really quickly. Instead of using standard major/minor progressions go with 7th chords instead. Change the key of a song or two to get them out of the standard G C D thing if you have to.

CHANGE THINGS UP - Another thing taken from my prog rock influences is to change how you play each verse. What I mean by this is for the most part everyone plays verse 2 the same way they played verse 1. You don't have to do this. All you have to do is keep the overall timing and chord structure. Most songs are written as 4 bars of 4/4 or 16 beats. The key thing is that all you really have to do is get from beat 1 to beat 16. Most players with go with 4 bars of 4/4 but you could opt instead for a 4/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 verse instead. It still adds up to 16 which is what you want but it makes things more interesting. As long as your vocal melodies and chord progressions stay put, you'll get a funky undercurrent to something you already know while maintaining its comfortable singability.

Let's say you played the songs first verse as 4 bars of 4/4. Now it's time for the second verse, so the bass and drums go funky using the example above while the keys and vocals stay put, with the guitars dropping out altogether. Then halfway through the verse the guitar comes back in with a chunky sound and plays along with the drums and bass. What did you get? An unexpected twist on an otherwise normally blah tune.

DYNAMICS - This is important both within the song and throughout the set. Let's say you have 5 members in your band, and currently you all play every song. Maybe for one tune you could break it down to just piano and vocals. Take a slow relaxed song and rock it out. Put in a stop between the second verse and that huge chorus.

GEAR - Sometimes gear can inspire as well. Use your OTHER bass for a song or two, change an EQ setting, or turn on an effect. Sometimes its as simple as having your keyboard player shift from the ever-present B3 patch to a rezopad or arpeggiator kind of voice.

There are a ton of things you can do to mix things up even with a stale set list. Adding new tunes is always good, but sometimes just stepping back and looking at what you've already got with new eyes will help.

6. trayner1

trayner1

Jul 1, 2010
    La Jolla,CA
    Those are all grand ideas. Thanks!

7. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    A slightly different arrangement can change any song.

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Here are a few suggestions:

(sound is not the best)

There are so many more!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. Hayseed

Hayseed

Feb 18, 2010
    Oregon
    Shirley Ceasar