Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Bass Instruction DVD

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sunrisewatcher, Mar 18, 2003.

1. sunrisewatcher

sunrisewatcher

Mar 18, 2003
    Hi

I am a drummer myself but want to give an instruction DVD to my bass friend for birthday. Have any idea? He has music background from violin and piano when he was young, and he's a post-beginner on bass wanting to learn more techniques. He's not having instruction with a teacher now but has before.

Thanks. Let me know

sw.

2. sunrisewatcher

sunrisewatcher

Mar 18, 2003
    It's me again, I just started to play with my bass friend every week (just bass and drum) so I was wondering if Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford's Making Music is a good choice.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just ordered Vic wooten/carter beauford and Jaco pastorius -modern electric bass on a whim...they will be here tommorrow, I'll let you know everything I can.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd recommend Roscoe Beck's "Blues Foundations" video. It's not really technique-focused, but it does provide a lot of good advice on how to dress up tired I-IV-V progressions.

It also demonstrates some useful, tasteful two-handed tapping ideas that won't stomp all over the music and make you sound like a wanker.

5. sunrisewatcher

sunrisewatcher

Mar 18, 2003
    Besides technique instructions, I believe instruction on what to play for different music style is also very helpful, too. Like one should play a certain progression for Jazz and a different one for R&B... I am looking for a more comprehensive one, rather than one just talk about blue or jazz. Videos or books are ok. Thanks for you advices.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002