Good Bass Instruction DVDs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Does anyone here have any recommendations for useful instructional bass DVDs? I have the Jaco one, but I really think I should open up to more and modern stuff, too. I'm picking up the slap tech-nique, but would like to see some good jazz/fusion/rock players as well. Thanks in advance.
  2. Fill-In

Jul 24, 2004
    I've been exposed to at least five styles of slapping since I've started playing bass three years ago. Although the techniques for the right hand are pretty much the same, the techniques to get the sound from the left hand were all different. That said, I came across a DVD with instruction on slapping--he was very thorough from the 'thumb slap' all the way to 'muted pops.' I even got more ideas on how to come up with my own stuff. The title is:

SLAP BASS: the ultimate guide -- featuring Ed Friedland, it is from Hal-Leonard.

He actually covers quite a bit about different players' styles and setup--very informational, not real entertaining, IMO.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction.
  3. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check it out.

Any others? Come on, people............. :help:
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've heard really good things about that Friedland video.

Check out Victor Wooten's DVD (and the Bass Day 98 one) for info on double thumbing, a variant on slapping. Plus, he's a monster fusion player.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have the Friedland "Slap Bass" DVD. It's worth the price, though it doesn't cover double-thumbing.
  6. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Ditto on the Freidland DVD, he also has a couple of books with CD's on the walk style that are very valuable. .Alexis Sklarefski at musicians intitiute in California also has a great one on slap(I sure I butchered his name).He is an instucctor there and he is also a great teacher.The Beaver Felton "slap happy" is another great one.Abraham La Boreal is an incredible studio player in L.A. and he has a video where he uses his very unique techniques of 3,4, and 5 finger playing as well as chording etc.His is pretty tough, but well worth seeing.Billy Shehan has a very informative video especially if you want to learn some of the two hand playing,he is not as good a teacher as some of the others, but he throws out some tips about live playing, what works and what doesn't.
    I would stay away from some of the "Big Star" videos,as they are great players, but often not great teachers (my experience anyway).Those are good starters, I'm sure others will recommend some good ones also. Good luck.
  7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    For the same price as a DVD ($49.95), you could enroll in an online course with and get 20!! lessons over the course of a month.

I am currently taking a technique course with Adam Nitti that has completely changed my outlook and opened up all sorts of new directions in my playing.

No single DVD I've heard of can compete with that!
  8. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Go to and check out his DVDs. I've purchased a lot of videos over the years and I would rate Norm's the best. I've also had a personal lesson from him and he's equally cool in person. (Huge amount of information to digest too.)
  9. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I second this suggestion. His first two videos are as good as can be.
  10. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Does the Ed Friedland DVD go into more advanced stuff like 16th slapping and other things like this?
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yes, it takes you about as far as you can go without entering Wooten-esque double thumbing territory.