Good Bass Instructors in LA area???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkize you, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey, I just wanted to konw if there is any Really good bass instructors in the LA area? I cant find any online... Could you Reccomend some to me? If possible through a Link or Phone Number to me.

BTW, I play Jazz, Funk, Blues, and Progressive Metal.
  2. I've tried many instructors in the LA area. Here's who I recommend:

Bunny Brunel at the Carvin store in Hollywood is pretty good. He's a real musician (!) and knows his stuff. He positions your hands in an extreme way, however, that can hurt. It's also fun to go to the Carvin store and oogle all the amazing finishes and color that their basses come in.

Valda Hammick at Boulevard Music is pretty amazing. The store sucks, however, and makes you sign a f*****g contract. You can also take privately from her.

Beware of instructors who are really guitar players.

Beware of instructors who talk, talk, talk and don't spend enough time listening to you and watching you play.

Beware of instructors who think Fenders are the ultimate.

Beware of McCabe's.

You can go to guitar center in Hollywood and get some names off the bulletin board and try them.
  3. Wasn't Bunny in Blues Brothers? He rocked out Jailhouse Rock! :)
  4. I don't think he was in the Blues Bros, but I don't know for sure. Bunny is primarily a jazz/fusion player but of course, he can play any style.

I forgot to mention that lessons with Bunny are $65/hour. It's worth it IMO.

Another caveat about bass instructors is to beware of teachers who teach out of their home, yet do not have a dedicated space for instruction. I tried two different instructors who gave lessons in their bedroom. Not the class act....

It's too bad that the L.A. Bass Exchange closed. You could get lessons from Gary Willis there.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thank you VERY much for the info. I will check them both out.
  6. How can you recommend L.A. teachers when you live in the Bay area?

Canyon County is as much in the L.A. area as Livermore, Gilroy, or Tracy is in the Bay Area, if you get my relative drift.

Also, this gentleman plays a 6-string. You think that's a good fit with 1960's session musician Carol Kaye???
  7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    He could mean LA county.

8. I recommend these two instructors because I know them personally and I feel their teaching method is worth studying!

Living in the Bay Area doesn't limit my knowledge of many fine bass teachers throughout the entire world. I can refer to you teachers in Europe if you like!

Sure I get your drift, but others may not mind the drive.

Yes, I think any bassist can learn music from either instructor, it doesn't matter how many strings you use, notes are notes, time is time............blah, blah, blah. ( you get my drift)

Mr. Goody Good, these are my suggestions and the student can make his/her own choice. It's nice to have several instructors to choose from, it makes for a better fit when you can choose the teacher you connect with the most!

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I guess I should have said any bass instructor in Southern California... Not Limited to LA. I actually live in Westminster.

And (I should have specified) I dont mind a long drive for a VERY good instructor.
  10. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am with Treena. Go to Carol Kaye. She is one of the true trailblazers when it comes to teaching on the electric. When I was starting out, there was not much literature to choose from and her books were a godsend.

I have not taken any lessons from her personaly, but I have heard nothing but good things about her approach from her former students that I have known. (sometimes great players do not make the best teachers, but I have heard several times that she is a great exception!)

Hope this helps,
  11. Funkize are you still playing your Lakland Skyline 55-94. Or has GAS finally gotten to you enough that you purchased that Modulus Q6, Fodera Fretless 6?

FWIW, That PO BOX is just that. Carol doesn't make it a point to publish her home address on the internet and, I will not publish it either. You can call her voice mail though and leave a message for her, she will get back to you! The email addy is also a good way to get in touch with her.

Good luck!

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I actually have a Cirrus 6 string with Redwood top on Lay-away... It took forever to find one... I found one for $1,100 and had to get it cuz I couldnt wait any longer... I should have it payed off in about a Month :crying:

I would have LOVED to get one of those basses, but alas... Knotts Berry Farm Dosent Pay well...
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've taken a couple lessons with Bunny in the last month and can say he helped me a lot with my right hand technique.

Lessons are $70, not $65, though.
  14. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I had a chance to sit down with Todd at BassQuake last fall and have a lesson with him. He quickly corrected several technique issues and gave me a lot to work on.

I would highly recommend Todd. Great guy and *really* knows his stuff.

15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Met and chatted with Todd Johnson for a bit at one of his clinics, he really tried to drill in fingerboard memorization. He played some incredible pieces with simultanous chording and walking bass lines.

VERY down to earth guy, HIGHLY recommended.
  16. It's called inflation, or supply and demand, or something.
  17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What style? Anything in particular?

Baba's a good teacher, I'd second Treena's recommendation. He's versatile, and knows his stuff. Also a good guy, very personable. He used to teach at the Bass Center in Studio City when they were still around (God, was that really ten years ago?). :)

I know a killer slap teacher, but I'm not sure he's still teaching. If you wanna drop me an e-mail I'll find out for you.