Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Hey can anyone sugest some really good bass lines for a begginer/intermidiate bassist, im looking for bass lines that are good exercises.

2. Umm...

Alot of Nirvana (In Bloom)

Aerials....etc.

-Jon:oops:

3. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    hmm yeah first one I learned was Nirvana-Come As You Are

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What I mean is, try working on the bass line to your favorite song. In my experience, trying to learn a song you're not really into just doesn't work.

Good luck!

5. Hmm.. n..n..not tab...related.... m..m..must.. resist..... m..m..must move... :eek:

6. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    FakeTrees,

Personally, IMO, I'd suggest avoiding the 'usual' Nirvana and RHCP's garbage... the Zeppelin stuff you mentioned in your other post is good.

-Allman Brothers
    -Jaco w/Word of Mouth ("Fannie Mae" and the infamous "The Chicken" are two of my favs)
    -the old Motown stuff is nice - Aretha Franklin, The Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye...

Hope this helps,
    michael s.

7. Classical bit by Fernando Sor, creepy tune:

G|--16-----------16-15-----------16-17------------16----
    D|-----------------------------------------------------------14
    A|-----------14----------------14---------------14----------
    E|-------15----------------15---------------15--------------

Try it, it rocks. :bassist:

8. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    try some showtunes, those are always fun ex. andy griffith, star wars, that summer lovin song from GREASE

9. I tabbed that one by accident. I was doing my scales..and..voila. :D

D|---------------------------4-4-4-7-7-4---------
    A|-4-4-4----7-4----7-4--------------------5---7-4-
    E|---------5-------5----------------------------5-----

Easy as that. ;)

10. As Hategear said, learn songs that you're into first. I'm guessing this is going to be from looking up tabs. And don't try something that's over your head unless you have a lot of time to dedicate to it. When I started out, simple basslines that didn't require too many changes were very fun to play because I could almost immediately play a whole song. The hard part was playing that simple passage over and over long enough to cover the song from beginning to end. When I started out I didn't have the stamina to finish a whole song consistently. :p But in time it developed.

With accordance to my tastes, I learned quite a few Oasis, U2, and punk songs.

Also, make sure you figure out what notes you're playing from the tab. When learning a song through tab (and sometimes having to modify it when a tab is wrong or doesn't seem that comfortable to play, which happens more often than one thinks), it's always good to write out the notes, and from there derive the key. Though it may be tedious to do since most people are impatient to play songs (I know I am), it helps a lot in the future.

11. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    my most recently learned song, Beethovens Moonlight Sonata is good, doubt its exactly what you are looking for, but its good anyway, and its worth learning even if you arent into classical too much.

G|-------9--| x8
    D|----11----|
    A|-11-------|
    E|----------|

G|-------9--| x2
    D|----11----|
    A|-12-------|
    E|----------|

G|-------11-| x2
    D|----12----|
    A|-12-------|
    E|----------|

G|-------11-| x1
    D|----10----|
    A|-11-------|
    E|----------|

G|-------9--| x1
    D|----11----|
    A|-11-------|
    E|----------|

G|-------8--| x1
    D|----11----|
    A|-11-------|
    E|-----------|

G|------8---| x1
    D|---10-----|
    A|-9--------|
    E|-----------|

woah, sorry bout the long tab but its worth it. good for fingering technique, in terms of usefulness.

12. I thought was:

G|------6--9-----
    D|---6-----------

?

EDIT - oh that's Fur Elise or something, nevermind.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Get Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Plenty of good stuff in there.