Good Bass Setup Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Honk'n_down-low, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Forgive me if this has been posted - looking to put together a good tool kit or purchase one that works well for setting up my Basses. I have a variety from Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Spector, Yamaha etc... TIA

2. Sub’d. Looking for the same info.

Honk'n_down-low likes this.
  3. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Cloth and Allen Keys came with bass.
    Screwdrivers I already had. Oils and string cutter/winder from my local guitar shop.
    Feeler gauges and engineer’s metal ruler from Amazon. Can’t remember where the mini spanner came from but it’s a good one. Worth paying a bit more for.
    Scissors and electricians tape. All kept in a spare wash bag. I use a towel to lay the bass on and another rolled up towel to support the neck. Works for me. Soldering iron came from an engineers suppliers in the uk. Don’t buy the junk on Amazon, it’s worth investing in a decent one.
    8FDA6DE7-68F8-4F1C-9BF5-E268EF853BD4.jpeg

Honk'n_down-low likes this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    I keep a setup kit in each bass case. Doesn't take much:

1. A capo
    2. One feeler gauge that is my preferred relief
    3. Four feeler gauges (for a 4-string, add one or two more for more strings) to measure string height at the 12th fret. Forget using a ruler for this - you can't see it in gig-conditions, but a feeler works even in the dark
    4. One allen key that fits the truss rod
    5. One allen key that fits the bridge saddles

I don't bother with intonation adjustments in my gig-tools. You could add a good tuner and whatever tool fits the intonation screws. Nor do I include a set of nut files. Add them for bench work and you then have all the tools you need for setup.

5. Thanks for the info!

6. Thanks for the info!

7. Any of the tools noted above available in a kit?

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

There are tons of toolkits on the market at varying prices. Just do a search for guitar toolkit, guitar maintenance, etc. That will keep you busy checking out the different kits.

9. Thanks I was hoping for recommendations of known good kits from someone here that may have had a good experience and a set with most of what would be needed for a complete setup.

10. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    The problem with the kits is the nut files are subpar, to put it nicely. Spend the hundred bucks (I know) and get the Stew Mac bass nut files. Best money I ever spent. Wish I’d done it 20 years earlier.