Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass shops in Houston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jdombrow, Feb 3, 2004.

1. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm in Houston for two weeks. What music stores are worth visiting? I'm particularly interested in checking out high-end basses that are not available in typical chain stores.

jd

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Forgive my Texas topography ignorance, but if Austin is close by I would recommend Austin Bass Traders. Glenn is a great guy, has a good selection of basses and is incredibly knowledgable. You can tell him I sent you. ;)

3. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    You can check out Rockin Robin. They have some high end gear.
    You can also check out Texas Music Emporeum. I beleive they are the only
    stores here in Houston that has High end gear. IF you do go to Rockin
    Robin, ask for Tom Jenkins. He is a great guy. There you can check out
    Zon, F bass, old Fenders, Alembics, Stroy Basses, Bergantino cabs, Aguilar,
    Swr, and many others.

4. I'm w/ Troy on this one...
    the two places in town w/ any high end bass gear is Rockin Robin (South Shepard & greenbriar) and texas music emporium
    rockin robin would be my 1st choice. They have some sweet stuff. But a better bass selection than cool Amp/speakers.

The other Music stores in town are H&M and GC. Evans music on westheimer occasionaly has 1 or 2 high end peices, but there usually trade in.

Austin is a 3hr drive from Houston -Austin bass trader and a few other stores there w/ high end gear
    frank
    (Hence the reason why I custom order my gear)

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for Rockin' Robin and Tom Jenkins. Good store, good guy! :bassist:

Parker Music usually has a handful of Alembics and a good selection of (Peavey) Cirrus basses, which I am partial to.

There are some really good stores in Austin, but that would definitely be a road trip!