1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good bass shops in the newjersey/NYC area

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Apr 5, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm looking to try out higher end (think 1 grand to 2 grand. used and new) in the new jersey/new york city area. can anyone reccomend any shops?

obiously guitar center wouldn't be a top choice.

and i've been to NJ guitar and bass. its nice there.

any others?

i'm looking for stuff like roscoe, dingwall, american fenders (with a good setup. not GCs twisted versions), etc.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    most definitely. that looks cool. thanks.

because i want to eventually by myself something a little higher end. plus actually be able to have feedback here on talkbass regarding the high end basses. :)

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    The groove shoppe in Brooklyn (as previuosly stated by a fellow TBer)
    Rudy's music stop on 48th st. (LOTS OF AMAZING INSTRUMENTS IN HERE!!!)
    There is a couple of Pedullas in GC Manhattan
    Mannys music in 48th st. (in front of Rudy's) has some Spector stuff, a used MTD535 and a Fodera VW monarch bolt on...

Just my 2 cents.

5. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Rudy's for sure...dress well, don't get greedy, don't touch stuff unless you ask, etc. If you are young you are going to get more hassle then an old fart like me. They do have American Fenders there, including the Jaco Custom shop model. They also had a 67, and two 75 Jazzes for sale.

Does the groove shoppe in Brooklyn have a physical location - coz you can't tell that from their website. One would think an address in the "About Us" section would be nice.....

6. i cant believe no one said the sadowsky shop yet, i've never been there, but alot of people are heartbroken leaving that place bacause they couldnt buy everything in it. So i would think that its probably i nice shop to check out, its in brooklyn too.

and yea rudys is cool, but like tkozal said, you goota ask about everything, be nice even if they arent to you. and they may be kind of mean if they think your not actually looking to buy anything. A few times i was in there they treated me like nothing cus they never i was just there to look at the ritters and whatever else, but the last time i went in there with $1900 bucks looking to buy a new amp, they treated me like a god. Ask me what kinds bass i wanted to play outta it, suggestions for tone, answered eveything i asked. there great if you have money and are actually looking to buy stuff.

7. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Sadowsky? He said "one to two grand", not the gross product of Costa Rica!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Check out some Metros and NYC models at Sadowsky in Brooklyn , www.sadowsky.com :bassist: