Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass stores/retailers in Va.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TyKao, Jul 31, 2003.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, I'm relatively new at this gear shopping game. I haven't gotten any new basses for about 9 years now and I'm in the market for another one.

Can any of you suggest a good retailer I can go to in the VA/No.Va/DC area? Someone with good prices/bargain specials, good repair technicians and a decent selection of gear? I'm from Richmond and all we have is a Sam Ash. The other stores I've gone to are pretty tiny and don't have anything really different to offer.

I know I can do internet shopping too, but I am wary of buying a guitar I haven't even gotten to touch and check out. No two basses are alike, right? Am I just being unreasaonable?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My personal favorite area store, and one which is very close to me, is Classic Axe. Tell the proprieter Phil Hamm sent you in. He sells Rickenbacker, Schecter (check out the honey blonde Schecter USA 5 string - DROOL-O-MATIC!, and some Korean brands, particularly Cort and Dean. He's got a 4 string Cort Curbow fretless in the store now that's wonderful. The last two basses I bought, my Tacoma acoustic and Dean Edge 5 fretless, I bought from Russ at Classic.

Melodee Music (link didn't work when I posted it) is another good dealer in Northern VA. Lots of Peavey there, and Gibson, Fender. Nice shop - I bought my Palaedium there in the 90s.

The best of all shops in the area, but a pain in the ass to get to from Northern Virginia, is Chuck Levins Washington Music Center. Worth a trip, but be ready for serious chaos, that place is insane.

Oh yeah if you like big chain stores there's a couple Guitar Centers in the area. I don't like big chain stores personally.

3. Cameron Mc

Cameron Mc

Jan 20, 2003
    Roanoke, VA
    Roscoe Guitars-Benavente & LowEnd Basses-SIT Strings-Schroeder Cabs
    i've never been personally,

but i hear

Atomic Music

in college park MD i believe

is THE place to go as far as bass shopping

Brad Johnson can tell you all about it

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Isn't there a big store called Richmond Music Center or Virginia Music Center or something like that in Richmond? My drummer was in a local store asking about snare drums and they told him to check it out.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hi Cameron, good seeing you again at the NAMM show :D

Atomic Music specializes in used gear so you can find serious bargains there on a wide range of stuff with two caveats:

1) you'll never know what you'll find there
    2) the good stuff goes fast

It's the best store I've ever seen for trade-ins and doing consignments. It's also a cool place to just hang out for as long as you want.

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I need information about Atomic!

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Take the Beltway to Route 1 south at College Park, MD (there's a huge IKEA on the north side of the exit). Go about 1.5 miles, it's on the left just before the bowling alley.

Lots of used basses, guitars, amps, speakers, recording and pro sound gear, some brass and woodwinds, just a bunch of used stuff at good prices.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Venemens Music (Vetemens) Not sure of the SP. Some that lives in the area will more than likely know who Im talking about.

9. The best music store in virginia is uh.... not in virginia. From Richmond, this is a hike, but chuck levin's Washington music center is the best bet. It's in wheaton, Maryland. They carry everything and are cheaper than anything else around (prices comparable to bassnw, basscentral, etc)

They have all the high end gear that the chain stores and small shops don't carry.

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Venemens is long gone - sold out to Guitar Center.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This isn't a slam against WMC... the availability of high end gear in this area is pretty sad.

No Elrick, MTD, Fodera, Lakland, F Bass, EA, Epifani, Bergantino, etc. High end amounts to Ken Smith and Pedulla. The local dealers don't even carry the local builder like Brubaker and Crescent Moon. Of course there's more PRS than you can shake a stick at. Ooh, bass player heaven.

That's amazing considering how centrally located we are and how many people spend loads of $$$'s on gear... everywhere else but here:meh:

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That sucks! When did this happen? I moved out of that area Dec 24 1999 so Im guessing he sold out to them fairly recently.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Dec 25, 1999

j/k;) kind of... it was probably around that time frame. It's been a while.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Classic Axe carried Brubaker, I'm not sure if they still do. Pink Guitaz used to carry Warrior. Neat stuff!