Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass teacher in Seattle/Tacoma area

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by alex011085, Jul 24, 2002.

1. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    Anyone know any good teachers in the Seattle/ Tacoma/ Kent area. Any replies would be great

Thanks
    Alex

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    GENERAL INSTRUCTION

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the guys at bass northwest have several business cards of some really great instructors. they teach in different styles and from different approaches. give gabe and the guys a call.

4. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    thanks a lot. Finnally another TBer from whashington. haha

5. hey, im from WA, too.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I know a bunch, but most are in the Bothell area. Accessible from Seattle, but if you're around Tacoma it's a bit far. Where do you live?

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yea, Bass Northwest is a good place to find teachers. Randy McClusky teaches out of there and I think that he's very good.

8. whoa they teach there? i bought my bass there and was gonna ask this question soon.

9. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    i live in the kent/renton area. if you know were that is. I might be able to hook up with marcus miller for theory, tech lessons. I know a friend of his. just need to make some phone calls. I hope it works!!!!:D

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yes, they teach in the back room of Bass Northwest.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You take lessons from him? I do too! :) He's the finest I've ever met and studied with. Top choice, imo.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    His teaching inspired me to practice and learn. I improved so much from him. Teaches at Bass NW or in his home.

13. how much do you guys pay for the lessons at BassNW?

14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    $30 per hour back in 1999.

15. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    I have been playing for about 6 years now, but want lessons to show me what way i can improve technique and how to apply theory to writing and learning music. I guess anyone who teaches know those sort of things. whats everyone elses opinions?

16. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Doug Miller. Excellent teacher and he's one of the guys around town that gets all the gigs (the rat bastard :D )

He teaches at UW and privately. I took lessons from him for 3 years and I have been thinking about starting up again to get a kick in the ass. I unfortunately do not have his contact info anymore. He lives around Greenlake.

17. He teaches at UW?!?!? I go to UW, and my lack of transportation would make goin to bassNW kinda annoying, this could be very convinient...

18. hey man...i can teach you when i get back from turkey. i'm coming back to McChord sep. of 2003. (yea...it's a long wait). other than that, yea just hit up bassNW.

19. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah man, he is the resident bass instructor at the UW (or at least he was last time I checked). Talk to Marc Seales in the school of music, he's the head of the jazz studies department (and a really hip cat). Marc can hook you up with Doug, and he can get you information about playing in jazz combos too; if that sort of thing interests you. Doug doesn't have an office in the school of music, so he's kind of difficult to get ahold of sometimes if you don't have his phone number.

20. thanks for the info, ill probably look into it come autumn quarter..
    LoRD_eZeK, what you doin in Turkey?