Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass techs in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Mar 27, 2001.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While I do most of my setup work myself, I think a couple of my basses need some electronics work to get them in tiptop shape. Can anyone recommend a good tech in the MEtro Atlanta area? I am currently planning on going to see Curbow in the Mountains to have him work on some stuff, but let's just say that Curbow's turnaround time is.....seasonal. Or, at least it was the last time I went to see him. Any other options?

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Hambone and I had this discussion a few months back, and there is a guy at the Duluth Mars who subleases from them and has his own shop in the back. His name is Mike Marshall, and the work he has done for me has been fine so far. He even showed me how to de-fret my bass myself so I could save some money! There is also a guy on Hwy 78, just past Stone Mountain Park, near the Lowe's. I think Hambone had used him b4; I have heard both good and bad reviews. You also may want to check the vintage instrument stores in the Atl area, I'm sure that they either have a good tech on staff or sub their work out to someone they trust with their expensive stuff.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks. I'll give 'em a try if Curbow can't get my stuff back to me before the leaves start to change colors!