1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Bass to Mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdman14, May 18, 2011.

1. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    I've been itching to get a cheapo bass that I can experiment with pickups, knobs, and the like. Anyone got suggestions. The cheaper, the better. Thanks

2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Anything with Squier on the headstock

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    ^ This,

If you find a used MIM Fender that'd be primo too.

There are tons of compatible parts for Fender instruments. Anything with a Fender body and neck pocket will lend itself quite well to modding. (Squire counts in this regard.)

4. Even cheaper than a Squier, and a good platform for mods - SX from Rondo.

5. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    I would also recommend Squier. I have an Affinity P that is the bottom line Squier. I thought about modding it several times, but once I did a proper set up (including fret level, crown, truss rod, and action adjustment, and adjusting pup height) the thing plays and sounds so good I can't bring myself to touch it. It is used in my church, and a friend and I play different churches with it. It gets all kinds of compliments on it's tone. IMHO it's good as is, but it's also inexpensive enough that I could mod to my heart's content and still not spend much money.

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  7. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Epi EBO if a short scale interest you. With the neck p/u it leaves the rest of the body to mod with a clean slate.

8. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Fodera or Alembic