Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass to play

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Jun 16, 2001.

1. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I am a beginning bassist who can play some basic stuff like settle for nothing and come as you are and sunshine of your love (and of course brain stew).

I want to know some other good songs that are relatively easy with good bass parts, and some harder stuff to work on.

Could you help me out.

A BASS IS NOT A GUITAR!
    My brother and my friend have no respect for the bass :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm tired of people saying I play guitar :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: guitar sucks compared to bass (except hendrix) my friend also says the Red Hot Chili Peppers are gay :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: and he likes wheatus

2. easy and simple song : Metalica - Enter sandman

good learning song : Rage against the machine - killing in the name of...

And yes.. we all know the sad " bassplayers are frustrated guitarplayers " story.. well.. let me tell you.. i have only 2 words about that... " F#ck it! "

I play the bass because I like it.. i don't give a fried-chicken's ass about what other people think about it..

- AdX -

3. Uhm...actually, if you look at the main forum title, it says Bass Guitar.
    Sure, it's not a guitar in the sense that it has fatter strings and covers notes lower than a 'traditional' guitar, it's shape & everything has still been inspired by the guitar.

Oh, and on a side note...how the hell did you get 50 or so smileys into a single post? Every time I have more than 5 in a post it says that I've got too many. :p

4. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    Well as to the bass guitar thingamabob, that's not what I was talking about. It was more of when people see me playing bass and say i'm playing guitar.
    For the smilies I did copy and paste, which might be why it worked or maybe I'm just special

huh it doesn't work now
    I'm not special anymore :( :( :( :( :( anyway thanx for the suggestions other Allodox

Sandman is a little boring though

5. Ah...yes...
    BUT, you said that "A BASS IS NOT A GUITAR!" which is right - if you're talking about a double bass. However, what you play, the bass guitar, is in all senses of the word, a type of guitar. Just look at the first bass guitars ever made. A lot were made short-scale so it'd be easier for guitarists to play bass as well. The bass guitar is a type of guitar, which means your comment was half correct. :D

However, if people say you play guitar, tell them it's a bass guitar. If they continue to call it a guitar, chances are they're doing it just to get on your nerves, and you're letting it happen. ;)