1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ajdxxi, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ajdxxi

ajdxxi

Apr 28, 2010
  2. ajdxxi

ajdxxi

Apr 28, 2010
    bump

3. Rox

Rox

Apr 25, 2010
    Ok. I'll bite .

I've heard they were junk . But obviously hearing and PLAYING are 2 different things .
    Firstly I'm pretty new to the bass so take this accordingly.

I saw one in a guitarcenter and checked it out . It played and sounded decent in my opinion . Pretty hot pickups . Decent neck . Good bass for being made in China . Played it through a Line6 bass amp . In my opinion I would of rather bought the Schecter Stargazer bass that was next to it for the same price than the Ibanez . But all in all I liked it . Well made , wasn't noisy and seemed like a well made bass. If you want it , go for it .

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Your playing matters about 1000 times more than what instrument you use!!!

That said, why not ask the forum what basses they recommend according to your $$$ budget, and the style/players you love at the moment...which seems so so eternal when you are young, no?

5. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    I love Ibanez, but considering you play punk, you'll probably want to try out a Fender P or Squier P. And if you have the money look into a Sterling Musicman series bass

On the cheaper side: An Ibanez BTB will give you a great tone as well for a relatively low price however they are big basses with big necks. An SR is kinda iffy... you will probably want to go with a 500 or 600 series SR because of the woods... the lower models are just too bright.

If you want cheap, try the BTB. If you have the money, try the P bass

EDIT: basically you want something that has boom and bite, not necessarily the soft midrange tones

6. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I've played a Jet King at my local guitar store. It's a nice bass, very playable, with a sweet, musical range of sounds in it. The experience told me that the Ibanez mini-humbuckers are very good. They had good frequency extension at both ends, excellent clarity, and good musicality. Often it's the pickups on the imports that give them away, causing an otherwise pretty nice bass to sound dull, pinched, or harsh. Not so with the Jet King's stock mini-buckers. They're very nice.

In fact, I'd gone to the store to try out one of those new Ampeg acrylic Dan Armstrong reissue basses, tagged at $1200. I found the Ampeg/Armstrong to feel cramped, not too well balanced, and sound undynamic, dull, and closed in. I picked up the Jet King for a sanity check and it was a breath of fresh air in comfort, playability, and tone.

It's a cool bass and it's not just looks. I like the tone quality and tonal range very much. If I had any excuse to get yet another mid-priced solid body 4-banger, I'd probably get a red one. As it is, my eye is on an Ibanez ABF-200 hollowbody, which uses the same minibuckers. Playing the Jet King convinced me the ABF200 wouldn't need a pickup swap.

7. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I've played the Jet King bass and I'm very impressed. I think it has that boom and bite you're talking about. It has a mahogany body (boom), 3-piece maple neck (bite) with mini (bite) humbuckers (boom). That may explain why I was so taken by its treble and bass extension, clarity, midrange punch, and yet nuanced tone qualities when called for.

[​IMG]

If you're willing to slog through a 5-page discussion of the Jet King Bass when it came out a couple years ago--including many contributions by new owners--see this thread.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It'a kinda cool lookin'.

9. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    I have no idea about the Jet King. Never played one.

But, just for the record, Blink 182, Sum 41, and Fall Out Boy have all used p-basses at one point or another. I don't know anything about ATL though.

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Just get a P bass SX, AXL, Stagg, Vintage, Squier, Fender, Lakland, Skyland, Johnson, Indie, Ibanez lawsuit era, or any other company I can't think of that makes a P bass.

Your trying to sound like those bands are you not?
    Than get what they use a P bass.

Personally I'd get a Ibanez ATK or a Epiphone LP bass or something with a humbucker near the bridge that way you can slap and pop or just get a real ballsy gutsy pick sound.

I am into metal though and actually hate all the bands you listed but, my big bro made me grow up listening too 'em so I know a thing or two about their sound that's why I think a P bass maybe your best option.

11. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Here^^^ this is the bass to try out. Nice and small compared to the BTB but has a similar sound.

Notice almost everyone here is recommending Fender P-basses (or copy by another good company) for sound and Ibanez MAHOGANY BODY basses for sound/price. Those two are the ones YOU NEED to try out.