Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good basses for 500/600?? help plz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chili, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    my dream bass is a musicman stingray, but i wont be gettin one of those for a while coz they cost to much, my mam is willing to spend 500 or 600 on a new bass for me, i am just woundering what decent basses i can get for that which r good for slap pop louis johnson or Flea style, and has a nice growly tone??

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Cool Mom. Tell her I said so.

3. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    lol, will do, its for xmas tho, not just giving me it for nohting (i wish) but i dont have a clue where to start, i just need some tips for some off people

4. You can get a very nice used Fender Geddy Lee Jazz or a Warwick Corvette for that type of money....both are worth it and there is very little dropoff in quality in the used ones usually (or so I've found)....much better value than new IMO. :bassist:

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

A new Musicman S.U.B. (like a cheaper version of a Stingray) sells for $700. You could find one used for significantly less. Stingrays sell used for $700-800 sometimes.

The other obvious choice is a Fender Jazz. Plenty of slap-happy people get their funk sound from the trusty Jazz.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    G&L L2000 Tribute Premium. I've seen them new on eBay for around $500.

A good OLP MM copy, then upgrade it maybe?

7. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    You could always get a Fernandes or OLP, and switch out the pickups. I mean if youre looking for that sound, you would be pretty well off doing that I think.

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I think if you stay in the market, you can find a real used Stingray, Sterling, or Bongo for $600. In the meantime, mow some lawns or something and add to the kitty. My advice is, play whatever you have and wait (and save) for what you want.

9. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Yeah i might do that, i'm doin odd gardening jobs but i'm only making 15 or 30 pound a week doin them, but yeah, i just need patence i suppose, i'm stuck with something tho, if i sell my p.c, i will deffinitly be able to get one, but that means i wont be able to continue learning bass from it iff i do

thx all for ur advice aswell

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Give your mom my number.

Then give me hers.

uhohhhhh

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Used stingray can go for like 200$ more.

12. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    If you really lucked out, that is.

13. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    If you can pitch in a little you have the Lakland Skyline 44-01, Musicman S.U.B., Fender Highway One Jazz, and the Geddy Lee Jazz in the $650 - $700 range new.

14. yeah, you should spring for the S.U.B. it's the closest to what you really want and it's not all that much more. so go find out how you can make an extra $100-$200.

15. Aight my Padawan, heed my advice: If you -WANT- a Stingray, save up money and buy it. Accept no substitutes and all of that good stuff because when you've got the scratch for the real deal, you'll feel fulfilled in ways that are unspeakable.