Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good basses for dropped tunings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twiggy Jr., Mar 11, 2006.

1. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I was wondering if anyone out there had some recommendations for dropped tunings. Preferably in the $400-$700 price range. From dropped-D to dropped-D down a whole step.

2. for down tuning, you want higher tension. thus go for thicker strings and longer necks. i've heard that string thru body basses are good for tension aswell.

Actual basses, beats me:meh: !
    there's a slight chance that ESP might have some string thru's, not 100% sure though. i know the B-404 can go either bridge or string thru. so in that case you should maybe check out some of their other models. Not sure though, my B-2005 didn't come with this option.

because you ask for drop tunings i'm guessing your a good metal supporter like myself. might wanna chack out some of their Forest basses, or F's. sweet shape. the B shape with a see-thru black is pretty killer too!:bassist:

good luck!

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

ESP LTD DF404, is a 35" scale bass that has been set up to be a 5 string sans the G string.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    if youre asking for permanently drop-tuned, id go for a 35" or thicker strings, and might even consider buying 5 strings sets and tuning up.

if youre asking for a bass that can handle drop tuning on the spot, as in, you vary between normal tuning and drop tuning a lot, you want a stiff neck. nothing beats graphite, but im not sure if thats your thing and if its in your budget.

why dont you explore a 5 string instead, that gives you a lot more options, IMHO.

5. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I play my 5-string spector NS 2005 q5 with just med-light d'addarios and I play jazz in beadg on it as well as my rock band, in A-C-G-C-F. The strings are a bit floppy sometimes on the low end in that tuning, but then again im using med-lights. I believe it is a 35" scale bass, but its not string-thru. I also have my action set fairly high, I like a more tense response, not so floppy.

Basically, alot depends on setup (action, etc.), and string weights. I have played the same bass in two different stores and loved one and hated the other because of the action of the strings.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have one of my MIM P basses set up for drop tuning - it's tuned CADG, and it's worked out pretty well for me... I use a .110 to a .115 - depending on availability - for the "E" string, and a minor set-up change(trussrod and saddle height) takes care of the rest...

- georgestrings

7. Any bass should work if you use the right strings. I've got two 34-inch scale basses currently tuned DGCF, with La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels D-tuning set (54-75-90-111). These strings are designed specifically for that tuning, and they went right on both basses with no truss rod or intonation adjustment necessary.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I use Lakland 55-01...tuned ADADG...sounds great. Actually I've tuned down to G, just for fun....seems fine to. I currently have DR Low Riders on strung thru body. I usually keep with DR in some way.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Spector is now making a 35" scale 4-string. It is specifically built for drop-tuning.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    shavo plays a thunderbird FCGC

11. My Pedulla Rapture sounds very tight when I drop-D my E string, though my old Fender P-bass and my Stingray sound a bit wobbly.

12. I used to play a Spector NS2000 in drop C - BRUTAL:bassist:

Listen to Pantera or DOWN II and there you go.
    Best 'metal' bass I ever played.