Good basses for girls...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Yeah, Im not a girl, but my girlfriend would like to start playing bass... But she doesnt have the strongest hands, and shes not really THAT much into it.

so heres the question, what is a cheaper bass that isnt too hard to press the frets down? (she has a hard time with my RBX760... and my Squier P).

edit: or perhaps I could just put a really light guage of string onto my Squier P?... maybe .40? what would you recommend for a good balance of tone and easy of playability?

2. i think u would put thicker strings to make it easyer. iam probly wroung
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

It might just take her some time to develop the hand stregnth though.

4. "and shes not really THAT much into it. "

find out a songs she really really likes that has a bassline u can hear. learn it and like show her how to play it. she should start to like it more. and would work harder
  5. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
  6. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Thanks alot for that article.
  7. Well if' she's not THAT much into it, don't BUY her one.

If she can't handle a Squier P...well...nuff said.

Lighter gauge strings won't make a difference. She's just a sissy. No offense.
  8. There is nothing sexier than a (preferably hot) chick playing bass (well). As long as the bass doesn't look really bad, and the woman isn't very ugly, than it is HOT! I suggest every guy (or lesbian/bisexual girl) take their girlfriend to a music store and make them choose a bass you can afford then teach them to play it well and if nothing else we will be one step closer to making the world a better place (everyone knows bassists are the best people) and there will be another sexy bassist chick for me to look at ;)

oh...and Talena is REALLY HOT!
  9. Sounds like you're dating a guitarist to me :eek:
  10. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    well see, when i said that, i mean she just wants to play because i do... im thinkin of just letting her use my P.

And yeah shes got weaker hands... shes a girl... more dainty i guess (no offense to any females here... one of the best bassists i know is a girl).
  11. Ibanez Soundgear 4. Small, thin neck, light. I hate 'em; She may like 'em.

Have her check them out, like the GSR200.

Good luck.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    • Light bass, perhaps a hollowbody, could be more comfortable
    • Short scale would make it easier if she's small
    • Lower the action is, lighter the playing
    • Color MUST suit the shoes she'll be wearing on stage! ;)

Perhaps a Danelectro then? They are smallish, some come with short scale, are light and inexpensive and have sweet sparkly colors.

And then again, you could buy the heaviest Warwick there is and love it. It's all about trying basses out and getting the one you like the best.
  13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm not even a woman and I'm offended by this thread. Could you be any more sexist?

First of all, if you need meaty fingers to play, then you are doing it wrong. Sure, like any instrument you need to build and train muscles, but even my 5-year old can fret my 34" scale jazz bass. If her fingers get tired, then she needs to work on technique. It really doesn't take all that much strength to work a bass.

As for scale length, only she will know what is comfortable to her. I've seen people with tiny hands play 35" scale basses and make it look like there is nothing to it.

As for weight of the bass, again that is personal preference. If she is a normal healthy human being, then a 12 lbs bass is not going to pin her to the ground.

All I'm saying here is don't over generalize. If she wants to play, let her try your bass. If it isn't comfortable, then go to a music store and have her try as many basses as it takes to figure out what she likes.
  14. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I would recommend a Squier Musicmaster. These are awesome basses for the price (under $150 on ebay) and they are shortscale. I've debated getting one of these many times from my local pawn shop, but I just don't dig the short scale. Plus, if she likes "pretty" colors they come in light blue, seafoam green, and pink.

"Well if' she's not THAT much into it, don't BUY her one. If she can't handle a Squier P...well...nuff said"

Come on Garret, you don't even know how tall she is. She could be like 4'11" and if she was, a Squire P would be hard to handle. If you can't easily play a bass then you probably won't be all that interested in learning. It's uncomfortable for me to try and play some stuff on my p bass and I'm 5'6". People that aren't that big just don't have as easy a time on p basses. Of course I can rip it up on my jazz:bassist:
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes they will.

Lighter gauge = lower tension.
  16. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Sorry if its been said but check out what bass collection have to offer, especiialy on the used market.

I have one, and its the lightest bas sI've played, and the actions set real low and doesnt buzz (in standard tuning) so is easy to fret down. The sounds good too, especiialy considering it cost me £180 (about $275). Also, the look pretty good too so she'll be chuffed with it as a gift.

Wow, theres a sweet one on ebay(.com), only 4 days and at $100:

Hope I helped.
  17. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  18. all of my friends that play have GSR 200s and I am sick of them, personally. However Sarah still looks hot playing one
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have a friend (female) who was about 4'11" when she started playing. She learned on a Squire P bass. She doesnt play anymore, but it had nothing do do with difficulty. She could handle the bass well enough.