1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good basses for slapping???....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Sep 23, 2008.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    What are some good basses for slapping? I have a Ibanez IJSB90 Electric Bass which I got in this start up pack and I got this shop to put d r stainless steel roundwound strings on it. I am beginner. I try to slap and it comes out good at times but I want a bass that is affordable that the notes will ring out when I slap. Any suggestions?

2. Hi,

Musicman Stingray and Fender Jazz/P will be some of the more common answers.

Although I have a stringray and am finding slapping on my warwick 4 lx provides a more suitable tone when i slam.

For sheer ease of playability though it'd be the stingray.

3. Amaru

Amaru

Jun 16, 2007
    New Glarus, WI
    Spector or a Jazz Bass

4. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    So with a jazz bass...I would get an excellent sound for slapping right? Like I wouldn't have to try to hard?

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    ATK-300

It's more affordable than a MIA Jazz or Stringray too. Try it and you'll probably like it.

6. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Does it sound just as good?

7. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    That video was really good. I love that sound. I want to sound something like that. How much did your bass cost?

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's up to you to make it sound good. I'm no expert, but IMO/IME getting a good slap sound requires good action, good technique, and good EQing. Once you've got those down you can slap anything, and from there you can choose which bass has the best tone for you. "Good" is a completely subjective term, but I will say that the Stingray is my personal favorite for slapping.

9. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    How do you get good EQing? From a pedal, amp, bass, or what?

10. Yeah I like that video too. But that sort of skill requires alot of practice. He could probably do that on almost anything you put in front of him. He also has a nice amp that helps craft the sound his getting.

Spending lots of money wont make your technique any better.

For what your looking for its worth trying sx jazzes, mim jazzes etc if they are within your price range. American Jazz's that the video poster is playing are 1200-1300 us dollars.

11. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    EQ, or, Equalization, is how you set the tone controls on your amp. There are different kinds of EQ controls but generally there's a Bass knob, a Mid knob, and a Treble knob at the very least, with a few more knobs that may vary from amp to amp. Setting your EQ means playing around with the knobs and finding a setting that creates a good sound for your technique and your instrument.

12. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i think pretty much most bass can slap with a good setup, roundwound strings (prefer stainless steel), and good EQ to get that tone.

13. $1249.99 thru MF

14. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes! Let me stress the bolded parts of qunndo's post. That's exactly what I was trying to say in my first post. The key to getting a good slap sound is not just to buy an expensive bass and hope that it'll make you sound good!! The key is to practice your technique and work on YOUR tone! By the time you really get your slapping down, you should be able to walk into a guitar shop, pick their cheapest bass and their most expensive bass off the wall, and play exactly the same thing on both basses! (...provided that they both have a good setup)

Don't think that you have to buy nice basses in order to sound good. I went through a phase of that when I really started to get into bass, and I ended up owning six basses in an attempt to improve my tone. You name it, I had it. I had 5 strings, 4 strings, humbuckers, single-coils, jazz, precision, flatwounds, roundwounds, etc etc etc. Then it hit me that what makes your playing is YOU, not the instrument! Now I'm back down to a sensible 3 instruments. :D

Focus on your tone and technique BEFORE you start buying new basses! Make yourself EARN that bass! :D

15. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    A P bass wearing either flats or rounds......will give you the thickest creamiest slap sound money can buy.

16. I'm going to say ATK again. Mine slaps the heck out of my Ray. The price is not too onerous either.

17. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Almost any bass, with the right strings and setup.

Note that I said "almost", you guys. :) I know some would not be ideal.

18. I've always liked the Lakland 55-01 for slapping. Also, my Valenti J5 with EMG 40J's and Aggie OBP-3 is a monster slapper. An ash body+maple neck and fretboard+19mm string spacing+active preamp+single coil pickups=Monster slapper!!!

19. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Sounds like you just need some practice? :eyebrow:
    I do have to admit some basses lend themselves more to slapping than others, but you should be fine slapping on any bass. Heck, you could even slap and pop a guitar! (I know I can :p)