Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good basses for tapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 1, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    what are great basses for tapping, that won't cost a fortune. i'm guessing low action and neck-thru or graphite/CF neck? but thats a guess.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think it has more to do with the player than the bass. I've seen guys cleanly tap cheap basses. Za Williams (Arrested Developement) once did a 30 minute set alone tapping a cheap Oscar Shmidt acoustic. He killed it too!

3. Just get any bass. Really, just find a good looking, nice quality one in your price range and be done with it.

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i kinda figured that the good ones dun need anything but a plywood board and a pickup. haha.

but the fretbuzz on my ibanez really kills the sound of it. completely.

5. billystagg

billystagg

Sep 21, 2003
    i notice neck thru basses are a lot easier to tap with.

Have you tried getting the action lowered on your bass?

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Any fair neck can be tapped.I'd look more for the most appropriate strings...

7. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    im guessing the lighter gauge the better? i have mediums, mayb medium light? and my action is as low as it can go. and i still get wayy too much buzz. it is a cheap ibanez. wut shuld i expect.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

The following is just my opinion. There are people of good will who disagree. (I'd like to start out with this disclaimer, as people don't like it when one states opinion as fact! :D )

Generally, neck-thru's have more sustain and therefore "ring out" more when tappping (which is a good thing).

It may be somewhat counter-intuitive, but many players find that a higher action produce better tap tone than low action. Try it and see.

Lastly, I think technique has more to with getting a good sound when tapping than equipment or set up.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anything with low enough action and light enough strings will be easy to tap. On the other hand, I use my Jazz as my bass for everything: tapping, slapping, fingerstyle, etc. and don't have a problem with anything.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    low action for sure....
    The new Yamaha BBs are great tap basses. A Modulus Q sounds great tapped. As do some Carvins. Basically anything with capable low action and clarity.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve found that low action is essential for tapping. I`ve seen people tapping in many different basses and they sounded great. Of the ones I`ve played (Musicman, Fender, Zon, Warwick, Ibanez, etc) Peavey Cirrus remains at the top of my list.

12. I can tap just fine on my Carvins.

:hyper:

13. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    low action for sure.

14. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    That just reminded me,,, I usually play bolt ons, but one day I played a used Pedulla MVP 4 a Corner music and the tap tone was AMAZING. It of course, is a neck thru, but I think pedulla knows more about neck thrus than the average bass builder.

15. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    good, clear pups, and nice piano-esqe sounding strings.

hrmm my EMG equiped Dean sounds like just the ticket, plus those nice Prism strings : )

16. My Status Stealth fretless is a tapping MACHINE!!!
    My Parker Fly 5 is cool too.

Go with a carbon-fiber or graphite neck if you want the ultimate in "response" and quick attack.......

;)

17. Im with mr terrien on the carbon fibre issue. My Q6 is even the whole way up the neck so i dont have problems with some strings tapping noticeably louder than others. Its bolt on, i havent noticed any difference between bolt on and neck through basses at all actually (my previous two basses were wooden BO and NT basses) its more about tasteful use of compression. A dab of compression will bring out all of your tapping

i run my Q6 through an EBS overdrive on gently and then a touch of compression and it makes tapping clear as you like. James Sikth gets a good tone for tapping from Ampeg heads and Tech 21 DI gear.