1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Basses under or around 250€

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jkk17, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM.

1. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    So I am looking forward to get a new bass because my current bass is a disaster, too much fret buzzing even with adjustments too heavy and not at all good sounding. I'm looking for a good bass, good sounding and not heavy at all, I tried some and I really liked the Ibanez SR300 but I'm not an expert so I would like to get some advice on good Basses! Tysm

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The Ibanez isn't a bad choice at all. The Sire M2 is worth a look as well, comes in at just under your limit at the moment - £246.45 - https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_m2_tbk_2nd_gen.htm
    Either would do fine I'm sure. There's probably also a Yamaha and/or a Squier around that price point worth checking out too, others will chime in for sure...

Aqualung60 and Jkk17 like this.
  3. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    I saw a demo and I liked it a lot, however I wanted to try it before buying and I don't find it in Portuguese stores!

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yup, understood, that's the downside to Sire, harder to try before you buy. Though Thomann has a good return policy from what I understand.

Jkk17 likes this.
  5. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Even
    Even with the return policy, it's always expensive to send it back because of the shipping fees.

bholder likes this.
  6. Notify Thomann regarding returns within 14 days of goods arriving and they refund the shipping fees. Any order over 199 euros gets free shipping so what's the worry ?

Jkk17 likes this.
  7. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Are you sure they refund the fee that you have to pay to send it back?

8. You don't pay a fee,Thomann email you a shipping label. You repack the bass,apply the label then hand in to the local post office.

Read the first sentence from Thomann's T&C

Consequences of withdrawal
    If the customer withdraws from this Contract, we must reimburse any payments we have received from the customer, including delivery costs (excluding any additional costs incurred if the customer has selected a different type of delivery to the cheapest standard delivery option offered by us) without delay, but no later than fourteen (14) days after the day on which we receive the notice of the customer’s withdrawal from this Contract. We will use the same payment method the customer used for the original transaction in order to provide the reimbursement, unless otherwise expressly agreed; under no circumstances will the customer be charged a fee for this refund. We may withhold the reimbursement until we have received the returned goods or until the customer has provided proof that he/she has returned the goods, whichever is earlier.
    The customer must return or hand over the goods to us without delay and no later than fourteen (14) days from the date on which he/she notifies us of withdrawal from this Contract. The deadline is deemed to be met if the customer sends the goods before the expiry of the fourteen-day deadline. We shall bear the costs of returning the goods.
    The customer shall only be liable for any diminished value of the goods if this loss in value is attributable to any use or handling of the goods which is not deemed necessary in order to verify the condition, features and functioning of the goods.

Jkk17 and LowRick like this.
  9. They repeat saying they pay shipping in second paragraph.

Jkk17 likes this.
  10. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Sep 23, 2017
    holland
    Thomann pays for the return shipping in 30 days (in The Netherlands).
    Now basses are usually too large for the local access points. A pickup from UPS costs 4-7 EUR, or you need to bring it to the UPS service center (a bit away for me).

Jkk17 likes this.
  11. for your requirements, it'll be hard to beat the SR250 or SR300.. just pick a color, and you're good to go.

Jkk17 and tindrum like this.
  12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd prioritize what you can try locally. Yamaha, Ibanez, Squier are pretty standard. Pick the best one you can find for your money. Best = you like the feel and sound, not what's on the headstock...

I cannot remember ever encountering a disappointing Yamaha (though I'm sure they're out there), so that would be my choice sight unseen. On Thomann, this would be my top contender: https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_bb234_bk_b_stock.htm (or the new one, it's not much more $$).

Jkk17 and BobDeRosa like this.
  13. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Just received an Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200K today. Here is my mini-review.

Jkk17 likes this.
  14. Depends on desired tone. Used helps. If new then squier affinity or similar. But used..... a few good choices more up to how it plays for you and your goals.

Jkk17 likes this.
  15. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    May I suggest this Retrovibe Barracuda at 225 pounds? If Chowny had anything to do with it, it is probably awesome, especially for the money. And they are based in the UK so I bet you could try one first. A music man style humbucker and a P pickup? All black hardware? 8.5 lbs? Sign me up!

Retrovibe Barracuda Bass WHITE or BLACK with MM + P Pickups | Retrovibe

Jkk17 and dkelley like this.
  16. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Ibanez SR300 is a good choice. I’d also suggest to try a Squier Vintage Modified PJ. Both of these basses have a different feel and sound so it depends on what you like.

Jkk17 likes this.
  17. Just out of curiosity, what is your current bass?

The Ibanez SR300 is a good choice, has others have said.
    If passive is an option, the Yamaha TRBX174 is surprisingly good (PJ configuration) and is easy to find locally.

Good luck.

Jkk17 likes this.
  18. I will second Thomann I have a HB -B-450 Progressive series that is a great bass

Jkk17 likes this.
  19. Brandon Stroud

Brandon Stroud

Sep 10, 2018
    I have a trbx174 ew by Yamaha. Sounds great, had it for about a year now and found no problems regarding quality. I'd pick that, but I tried a Ibanez sr370 and it was great too

Jkk17 and Low profile like this.
  20. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    That's actually pretty good, I thought you had to pay the money to send it back Thanks