Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good bassists from bands that you wouldn't expect to have good bass lines

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by big empty, Oct 14, 2005.

1. big empty

big empty

Oct 11, 2005
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Rob Pope from the Get Up Kids- Listen to any song from a cd called On a Wire, he does nothing but groove the whole time with awesome note selection.

Eben D'Amico who used to be in Saves the Day- He went from a pop punk root note guy to a full time groover in only 3 albums with the band and added so much bounce to their newer CDs. He's part of the reason the band went from being a horrible punk rock band to a bouncy 60s type hippie band in a very short time.

Matt Freeman- Rancid sucks! But Matt Freeman shreds.

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Duran Duran, Yes, Blues Traveler, David Bowie, There's a ton!

3. -Mudvayne
    -Lamb of God
    -Fear Factory
    -Death
    -Muse
    -Hendrix
    -Metallica

There really are to many to list.

4. Mudvayne definately, you just dont see that kind of technicallity in that genre of music.

Barenaked ladies, I never really noticed the bassists talent untill a few months ago, i thought he'd just be a groover, but his lines are fantastic while still retaining an awsome feel and overall groove.

AFI, its like newschool funk with awsome bass!

5. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Slumber:

Most interesting basslines iver ever heard for a genre of music.

Also wouldnt expect out of a doom metal band, the guy does well.

Necophagist:

Technical death metal band, im surprised the bassist can even keep up with the weird groove they get going on.

Opeth:

Progressive Death metal band, check out morningrise and Ghost reveries. Morningrise had DeFerfella, weirdo pusdo funk lines. And Ghost Reveries has Mendez, cool fusion groove lines, this guy is my faqvorite hes on his own level in metal bassing.

Camel:

Prog Rock. This guy is on a whole other level aswell.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmm, you don't suppose they like Sleep at all ;). I'll have to try and find some of their stuff

Camel is awesome... yeah, you never see prog rock bands with good bassists... :eyebrow:

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've been digging some older Meshuggah lines lately, mostly because you can hear them, it's not spectacularly technical. But it's metal where you can hear the bassist, so it makes me happy.

8. Five Words:

Mel Schacher. Grand Funk Railroad.

The best bass player ever in the most marginal band ever.

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    MC5

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    How dare you insult Rancid *goes into rant* and that's why you are going on my "people who have insulted good music on TalkBass on Tuesdays" list.

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    +1 for Barenaked Ladies!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

How dare you insult MC5! !! !!!!!!!! !!... !!.. Rancid bothers me, Tim Armstrong is way to busy concerning himself with how high he can jump while "playing" that the band sounds ultra sloppy live. Even on album, he's kinda rough, I imagine him jumping in the studio.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

AFI?! As in "A Fire Inside"?! New school funk?! Wow, if you consider AFI funk... you uh, have never listened to funk ever in your entire life, or in the history of anything. But you probably mean punk...

14. He could be referring to Hunter's tone, which is funky, although pickstyle. I dig it too, and I wouldn't call AFI funk.........not in the least.

15. sethik

sethik

May 26, 2005
    Manchester England
    i would never ever ever describe any of hunters riffs tones lines or equipment as 'funk' then again some bass players like to call everything with an interesting bassline funk. sigh.
    anyway bands with good basslines

offspring. simple and complex sometimes yet interesting and fun (surprisingly) see dirty magic, self esteem, special delivery

+2 for the barenaked ladies. i agree.

the wannadies: strange scandinevian rock/pop hobbits but some nice basslines in there: hit, yeah

there are alot of good basslines in metal. BUT most of these lame **** metal bands play guitar at full volume and hammer double pedals on the bass drum layed over with screamy ****e vox so that alot of decent lines are lost. metal has gone down hill of late i think.

-s

16. Mudvayne :bassist: - dont see that talented a bassist in a metal band these days

Lamb of God :hyper: - practically doubles the guitars and these guys shred hard

Fall Out Boy :D - the most talented emo bassist ever

Limp Bizkit :bag: - considering the overall talent of the bands of the genre, they have some cool lines

17. Dude, if necrophagist didnt have a good bassist they wouldnt have one at all. Even the basic riffs require harmonics and sweep picking as well as impecible timing.

The lead guitar/vocalist composes all the songs on PowerTab which I find cool and then they all learn their parts. The bassists lines also sometimes give a good harmonic texture when they deviate from the guitars...in a very classical style. The bassist doesnt always follow the guitars during the riffs which is odd for death metal.

Anyway,
    'mout

18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I may look like a goof, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I went to camp with his little brother and one of my friends dated their drummer. The consensus between both of them is that he can't play bass to save his life.

And from what I've heard of their records I'm not surprised.

19. I'd have to say that I agree with my of the choices above, AFI and Opeth and particular. Hunter's basslines are excellent, and Martin Mendez is a tremendous player of his own.

I enjoy Chris Steel's lines with Alexisonfire. While he's not the greatest bassist I find his playing interesting. I guess I just like his style, it's a bit out of the ordinary for music of that genre. Alexisonfire in general is pretty unique as well, probably why I find their music so interesing.

Oh, and while we're at it, Jay Bentley with Bad Religion. Especially as of late (last couple albums), his playing is just great. The whole band has obviously matured with the years and aren't playing the same simple, heavy punk they used to. Some really good songwriting, and equally good bass playing.

20. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    that sheryl crow song "all i want to do"

the bassline is sick! does she play it?

oh yeah and i duno what that guy up there ^ was saying.

Rancid is amazing live. (november 2003 at nations w/ tiger army) matt freeman is my hero.