Good bassists who were also good at another instrument

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey guys - To me, McCartney comes to mind, but what other good bass guitarists were also very good at another instrument? It doesn't have to be guitar, but I would think guitar and piano would be the most common.

2. basshawk

Dec 18, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Here are a few that come to mind:

Sting, Gerald Albright (sax and bass), Wilton Felder of the Crusaders (sax and bass), Prince (bass and everything else), Larry Blackman (bass and drums), Marcus Miller (bass and bass clarinet and keys), Jerry Bergonzi (sax, bass, and everything else), Sheryl Crow (guitar, bass and keys)
  3. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, actually I read that Carol Kaye (actually she told me herself) was a guitarist and one day she just got the "Fender Bass" thrown in her lap, and the rest is history.

4. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Brian Wilson is another who plays everything.
  5. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Flea's pretty awesome on trumpet (his first instrument), he plays on The Mars Volta cds and I know for sure on "Idiots rule" off Nothing Shocking. John Entwhistle played the french horn on a song that I can't remember.
  6. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    John Paul Jones, Keyboards, 6 and 12 string Guitar, Mandolin, Pedal Steel.
    Jimmy Page plays fair Guitar, he was the bassist for the Yarbirds.
    Ronnie Wood for the Stones, Guitar, played Bass for the Jeff Beck Group.
    Geddy Lee plays some Syth.(Can't spell it right now, I don't know squat about keyboards.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Marcus Miller also plays sax. Stu Zender started out on guitar, and still plays. I don't know if Prince counts, but he plays everything......well! Noel Redding also was a guitarist first. Randy Hope Taylor also plays guitar for Jeff Beck, and Ricky Kinchen, bassist for Mint Condition, plays a Les Paul guitar on 4 songs in the set. Bootsy is a helluva drummer.
  8. Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath plays guitar, although not on any recordings.
  9. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    Al caldwell plays every instrument ever created.....and he plays them all better than we ever can.
  10. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Good info - this make me think there are a lot of us on TB that probably know more than 1 trick as well.

11. BenKrishman

Feb 15, 2006
    Keller Williams

its kinda the other way around, his main is guitar, but he pretty much plays everything, and well.
  12. Jaco was a pretty good drummer.
  13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Les Claypool can play the drums as well as bass, and Mark King started as a drummer but lost his kit on some ill-fated venture in europe, so when he was back in England he joined and band and had to play bass.

The rest is history!
  14. Geddy Lee is great on bass, synths, and keys, and a decent guitarist

Jimi Hendrix was a good bassist and guitarist (although he is overrated)

Prince is a decent bassist and a good guitarist

Sting's ok at bass and guitar.
  15. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    John Myung, he played violin at the age of 5 and started playomg bass at the age of 15. Also Abbath from Immortal was a bassist then played guitar, but he wasnt to flash on bass
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I hate it when people say stuff like this, especially other bassists. You think we'd know better. Sting is not a chops monster or a NAMM player, but he was more than "ok".
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Arturo Sandoval: Trumpet, Piano, Percussion all extremely well!
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

T-Bone Wolk also plays guitar.