Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good bassplayer

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Is it bad to say " i am a good bassplayer " about yourself ?

I never know what to say when someone says " damn, you're a good bassplayer ! "
    I always start to blush like hell :(

b.t.w. check out this cool photo of me, which i use as background on my PC :D

[​IMG]

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well jaco went around saying, "I am the greatest bass player in the world!!!" I approve of it because there is truth behind it. I always say i'm a ****ty bass player. I wonder if there is truth behind that, :(.

Hmm, i guess the rule is that if you say you are a good bass player you better be able to back it up. I think the modest approach is the best. BTW, cool pic.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    the pic would be good for an ibanez add. :D

4. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I blush too when people tell me that I am a good bassplayer, especially because I know for a fact that I really suck. I was also told once that quote " use my fingers like a pick" ... What the heck does that mean?! I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a compliment too...wierd.

josh

5. I say I'm an awesome player, but then again I'm basically all bark and no bite :D

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Nothing wrong with claiming to be a good, solid bass player. You have to be aware though, "good" means different things to different people. There are players here who think "good" can only mean playing a million notes a minute, and that people who "just play bass", and propel the band with a good tight groove are just "boring". All that's "so easy", they say. Be ready for an argument, no matter what you claim....especially here.

But then again, the only opinion that really matters is your own.

7. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    I agree with you, mchildree, someone's view of "good" can be determined by a different criteria than another person's. For example, some people believe that the best bass player is one who can pull off the most complex (rhythmically and melodically) bass line - even though it often detracts from the overall feel of the piece. Too many bassists want their turn in the spotlight (guitarist wannabes? :D) or try to turn it into a solo instrument without realizing the concept of fitting into the overall feel of a song. IMO, the "best" bass players are the ones that are always aware of the role they should play at a given time. If you do that, consider yourself a good bass player.

8. I happen to think of myself as moderately ok. I know that I am...bad compared to many. I miss notes and drop time often. But Im working to get better. In my band, I dont try to be flashy or anything. Ill follow the guitar somewhat and add some small scale parts and what have you. It doesnt sound like a mess, but it isnt really BORING.

Can a good bassplayer just follow the guitar and add a few slides and scale notes? For a few of my bands songs, I am perfectly content just following the guitar. I think the fanciness depends on the song. Would Nirvana or the Sex Pistols have sounded the same if they had a really fancy showy bassplayer? Would 'Smells like Teen Spirit' sound the same if it had some crazy scale run or slappy bassline? I think the 4 note line fits perfectly.

Anyway, in conclusion, I think a good bassplayer can know when to be fancy and when to just stand and play.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I usually just say thank you

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I always say "I'm OK, not the best."
    If someone says "damn you're a good bass player" I usually freak out, cuz no one heres me play bass but my family, and my close friends. That'll change august 11 though!!

11. DirntDisciple

DirntDisciple

Jul 28, 2001
    I always say that I am pretty good. I know what my idea of good is. Mike Dirnt. He is an awesome musician. his lines are killer. I model my playing after him, that's why I am good.

12. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just because you can play someones else's lines dosen't automatically make you good. Why don't you try to make your own lines and see how good they really are, or turn out to be. Modeling ones playing after another takes out the most important aspect of music which is individuality and personal preference. I hope that you don't just try to emulate him all the time. You will limit yourself and won't progress any more on the bass.

13. allodox, somebody has a messiah complex... :D

lots of people tell me i'm good, but i think they have no idea what they're talking about. think about it, who did you think was a great bassist before you took an active interest in the instrument?

14. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    I thought Fieldy was an awesome bassist. :) He's the reason I started playing bass

15. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Food Fight!

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm pretty good at my own songs, the stuff that i write, but i'm not so good playing other people's stuff (outside of my band).

17. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Same way with me JT. Anyway...you are all right, AllodoX does have somewhat of a messiah complex...but if he plays well, I'll worship him!!! Just kidding, or am I?

18. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Ditto, John. I'm terrible, well unmotivated, at learning others bass lines. It just doesn't do anything for me. That's why cover bands and I have never gotten along very well.

19. I have an old saying (being an old fart - all my sayings are old).

If I don't think I'm great, neither will anybody else.

Thinking of yourself as a great bassist brings a bit of confidence (or cockiness) into your playing.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's always good. Sometimes I just say, "I'm glad you liked it." This is especially useful when you feel you've had a bad gig, and you don't want to say something false, but you don't want to spit on somebody's shoes by saying something like, "You thought that was good? I sucked!"