Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good begginer bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sicochild, Jul 28, 2002.

1. sicochild

sicochild

Jun 16, 2002
    Bonnybridge,UK
    Whats a good begginner bass to get ive only got about £250 to spend dont know what that is in the in $. Preferably a 5 string i know it seem stupid goin straight for 5 but ill probably have this one for a while. whats better by the way active or passive cuz i dont know what either mean sad i know.

2. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Sorry, I don't really know exactly how much that is in American money, but the only real difference between active and passive pickups/electronics is that with active stuff you can control your tone a little better, and some people say they have a slightly bigger output. If you can save up some money you could go with a mtd kingston. Best 5er's under a grand.
    PEACE!

3. If you are just getting started find a 4 string bass that is in good shape.
    This means no rusted parts, no crack sin the neck.

Try finding a used instrument at your local music store, and be sure to ask a lot of questions. Make sure you plug the thing in and play it before you take it home. Don't worry about any particular brand. Just find a bass that is comfortable, and sounds good. That will be more important than having the right color, or shape or name on the instrument.

Starting out on a 4 string will insure that you learn good fundamental techniques for bass. Sure 5 strings have extended range with either a low b or a high c. But, just starting out you probably won't be able to afford the equipment or the instruments that take advantage of that low b.

Trust me get the 4string and spend the money you save on some lessons. Even just a few lessons can get you going on the right track.

Good luck and have fun

Ed Ott

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

A Tanglewood Rebel 4k or 5k and some Yamaha four or
    five string models can be had for this amount with enough
    left over for lessons (or a small amp).

5. Eismann

Eismann

Jul 27, 2002
    Michigan
    I just started out and I got an Ibanez SR300. Brand new I payed 320 bucks.

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Ibanez SR300DX for sale...look in my signature.:D

7. Eismann

Eismann

Jul 27, 2002
    Michigan
    I wish that I would have known about that :(

8. I'd suggest going for a used Fender MIM Jazz. If you get it cheap enough, plomp in some new pickups.

9. Eismann

Eismann

Jul 27, 2002
    Michigan
    I found only expensive fenders to be good. I never played a cheap Fender that was good. Just my opinoin.

10. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    why?:confused:

11. I bought my nephew a MIM P bass for his birthday, and it is playable, decent bass.

I would stay away from active basses in that price range as the preamp will be kinda low budget (well actually really low budget).

You can upgrade it after you feel more comfortable playing and decide you want to keep doing it.

No sense in droppin a bit of cash and then deciding it's not for you.

12. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    I'm on my months anniversary of having bought my first bass, and am more than happy with my Tanglewood Rebel 4K. Can't admit to knowing much about them, but I like the sound, action isn't bad, has both P and J pickups so you can vary the sound around (flat background stuff or more punchy cut through).

Comes in 4 colours, I went for the blue, also black, yellow & red.

A friend who has owned a bass (Squier by Fender) for a while tried it out and liked the sound from it, all reviews on the web were pretty good too.

I'd definatley recommend it, got it for €320 (well 256 in a sale), gone up to €350 since but should be within your £250 budget methinks.

Kev.

13. I agree, simply because for that price range you usually end up with a weak sounding B string. You probably won't be getting too much of a re-sale value out of beginer basses, so I suggest going with a cheap Fender. Fenders have the sound that was the conception for electric basses, so after you have played it for a while you can decide what direction you would like to go in for your next bass.
    You can sometimes find higher grade Fenders used for a nice price too.
    My first two basses where Epiphones. To give you an idea of how much I liked their sound, I *GAVE* them away after I aquired better basses. (it was either that, or smash them to bits ala The Who.)
    My third bass was my first "Real" bass. It was a japanese made Fender P-bass. I picked it up for $250 used and it blew the doors off of my previous two. I wish I had started with the P-bass!

I don't think it's a bad idea to start on a fiver, it's just a bit more money in order to get something worthwhile.

~Ad

14. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
  15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha BB-405 would be nice in that range.

16. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    You've got about 400 $ or Euro; you should find something quite good suited for you in the second hand market.
    If you can, go with a experienced friend of yours, otherwise the seller will surely understand you're a novice, and this is never a good think.
    Don't start with a 5 string; learn first to play a 4, and maybe one day you will find that you need another string.
    A bass with passive pickups and or electronics has to be done with good woods, or the sound will suffer. An active instrument can be cheaper in woods, but will do the job.

17. i'd say go with one of three brands: fender, yamaha, or ibanez. when i was in the same predicament as you 6 or so years ago, my decision came down between ibanez and yamaha. i went with a low-end ibanez (i think it was called like a TR-50, but i could be wrong) and it was the perfect beginners bass. all you're looking for is something that is sturdy, well-made, and sounds alright. the low-end yamahas also fulfilled these qualities, i think i chose the ibanez because a small, dinky amp came with it.

stay away from active pickups (you shouldnt be able to afford them yet, and that's ok). definitely do not get a 5-string, you'll have enough to work on and learn just starting with a new instrument, not to mention there's no way you'll find a decent sounding B-string for a low price. and do NOT get a squire, under any circumstances. they're just cheap and sound baaaaddddd!

one thing that i'd like to point out is that i think looks do matter in a bass, especially for beginners. obviously, i'd never buy a bass solely for its looks, but you want something that's gonna keep you coming back to that bass and bass playing. it's sometimes hard to keep a beginner interested in something (i'm not implying that you specifically are one of those people, and this statement can be applied to any hobby...referrence the Simpson's episode in which bart starts playing guitar but eventually gives his guitar to Otto because he thought he wasnt good enough fast enough). simple fact: good looking basses are fun. and a dull or ordinary looking bass may not pull you in as much. as far as looks go, i thought the low-end yamahas, some of which came in some really nice natural finishes, looked great. call it a superficial comment, and really it is...but somewhat important nonetheless.

good luck!