Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Begineer songs?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by i_like_feedback, May 20, 2004.

1. i_like_feedback

i_like_feedback

May 20, 2004
    Hey

So like i just started bass and i was wondering what people recomenned for easy begineer songs. not easy slap songs, but like easy songs to get started with bass

thanks

2. If your looking for tabs mostly anything by Blink 182 and Greenday.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Walking on the Moon
    NIB (most any Sabbath for that matter)
    London Calling
    Damn Blue Collared Tweekers (sans the easy solo)
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Orion
    My Friend of Misery
    Any Morphine song
    Anything RATM has done
    Most Beatles
    Money
    Another Brick in the Wall Part 2

Everything I listed is beginner level, and can be played on a four string. Good luck

Welcome to the low end
    Adam Barkley

4. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    awesome list buddy! I concur........

kudos

Introvox

5. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I started playing bass about a month ago(switched over from guitar).I'm mostly a heavy-metal bassist.

Start off with Paranoid(Black Sabbath).It really helped me get started.Learn similar songs which start and end on E.

But like Joe Satriani once said-don't kid yourself.Learn theory first.

6. I agree on the ratm bass lines, but also check out RHCP. Fleas basslines are usually very fun and not too hard(but some ARE hard). Keep in mind, practice the feel also, not just the notes.

7. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Most of the RHCP's new stuff (in other words, on the 'By The Way' album) are really simple to play on bass. If you're looking for a nice and easy sounding slap bass line to learn, learn "Can't Stop". "Throw Away Your Television" sounds awesome and may sound hard, but its actually quite easy. "The Zephyr Song" is also a nice and easy one. However, IMO, the PERFECT beginner song is "Guerilla Radio" by Rage Against the Machine.

Also, I would hardly call "Those Damned Blue Collared Tweakers" beginner level. More like intermediate.

8. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I agree, RHCP baselines are mostly "in the box"
    My advice is if you are truely a beginner than to start with the root and practice 8th or 16th notes.
    Without sounding idiotic, start simple, AC/DC or something around that line just to get the base groove. Work it up from there.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's an easy song if the solo isn't taken into account, and it is a good introduction to plam muting and double stops.

10. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    (Old school, here)

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" Temptations (1966)

It's a 3 chord song in C--mostly a two bar repeated pattern (C F/C F), played in one position, but crossing all 4 strings.

11. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I agree, but because it's a good introduction to palm muting and double stops, would you really reccomend this to a full beginner? Unless I'm misunderstanding the guy, he's brand new to the bass and, if this is true, should learn basic lines first and then learn other things like palm muting and double stops later on once he's got the normal basics down.

Fun solo in that song to play, though. :bassist:

12. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    The first song I ever learned was The Pixies - Where Is My Mind

:bassist: