Good Beginner 5 String Songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I am a bass instructor who plays/teaches both 4 and 5 string bass, but I usually get students who learn on 4 string first and then progress to 5 later on. I just got a new student who is learning on 5 string and while I know a ton of more advanced 5 string songs to work on with my students, I just realized that I don't know too many beginner level 5 string songs - I can't think of any easy songs that use a fiver!

So, anyone got any ideas for beginner level 5 string songs?

Thanks in advance!
  2. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    "How you remind me" by Nickelback is a good, easy one..

"Remedy" by Seether is another...
  3. Bumpity...

Any other ideas?
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    For the kids nowadays... It's all about what Nirvana started. A lot of drop tuning songs are all over the place in modern rock. Most current pop music covers a lot of low B territory. Also R&B is also a great source of low B grooves.
  5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    keepaway - godsmack

alive - POD
  6. Crush 'Em - Megadeth

simple, not too fast, almost only eighth notes, and good if you feel like crushing things
  7. vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Didn't dave ellefson always use a five string? If so then a great one would be dawn patrol off of piece sells.
  8. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dawn patrol was on Rust in Piece...and Dave used a 4 stringer..they were tuned to E...
  9. Crush 'em is noted for a five stringed bass in the book "Bass Tab White Pages"
  10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Dave switched at some point in the 90's, i believe. i know everything from RIP and before is on a 4, so probly just check out some later megadeth. that being said, most of it is not that great, but they're new album is actually quite good. maybe some songs off of it? (The System Has Failed).
  11. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    How bout transposing some simple songs into a lower key so he can make use of the fifth string.

In the end by linkin park is easy enough