1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Beginner Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haggisbobcjl, Jan 14, 2012.

1. haggisbobcjl

haggisbobcjl

Jan 4, 2012
    I'm getting a new bass tommorow and I am looking for a better amp to go with it. I have a really small budget so i apprechiate I will not be able to get an amazing amps but I am looking for one which will be decent.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

2. evilt70

evilt70

Feb 6, 2011
    Pekin, Il
    Get a peavey. They can be had used dirt cheap, are built like a tank (and weigh as much), but will last forever and have pretty good tone.

3. +1 on the peaveys. They tend to be exactly as he described: cheap, built like a tank and about the same weight. and don't sound too bad!

I'd also check out some of the GK and the Fender Rumble stuff, it's at least worth checking out. Look for used gear, it'll be much more bang for your buck, which depending on your budget you'll likely have to do. I managed to get a 410 and a pretty good head used for 500 CAD, good deals are out there, you just have to look. I would also recommend trying everything before you buy anything.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Haggis BOb Cjl
    The GK MB200 or Carvin BX250 are really inexpensive, you'll have to match them with a speaker, or you could buy the GK MB115 or Carvin MB 10 or MB 12 ( very reasonable). I'd try to avoid the really inexpensive offerings, since they just won't hold up. They will end up disappointing you. Better to wait and save your pennies.

Ric

5. haggisbobcjl

haggisbobcjl

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look for a Peavey amp. I'll remember the GK and the Carvin for when I get a bit more experienced.

6. A Peavey TNT seems to be a pawn shop staple and can usually be had for around $200. Built like a tank and good tone IMO.

7. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah. I agree with all that have posted. My first choice for a rig on a budget would be Peavey. Solid and loud, with good tone. Buy used.

8. +1, or less than US$200 easily. Just throw some casters on them, you'll always use it for rehearsals, smaller gigs, or as a backup when you scale up down the road.