1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Beginner Bass Guitar Used or New under $200?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Perplexed Guide, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Perplexed Guide

Perplexed Guide

Mar 16, 2009
    Good Beginner Bass Guitar Used or New under $200?

Does it exist?

I have never played a Bass Guitar or any instrument for that matter but this Spring Term I signed up for Private Electric Bass Guitar lessons an hour and a half each week.

What I really want I can't afford at this time, or should I say I want to hold off to make sure I absolutely love the Bass Guitar before I invest in what I really want (code speak to be frankly honest is my wife doesn't want me to spend a lot of money yet)

So I have been shopping around and here is what I found:

1. Ibanez GSR100EX Soundgear Bass Guitar in Traditional Matte Mahogony; approximately $179.99

I really want a wood finish guitar like this in a matte finish, the only thing that concerns me here is it only has 2 control knobs, not sure what I would be missing here if anything?

attachment.

2. Dean Edge 09 4-String Electric Bass Guitar in Satin Natural Finish Approx. $119.99

3. Dean Edge 10a Electric Bass with Active Electronics in Classic Black or Metallic Red. Approx. $169.99

Seems to have all 4 control knobs and active electronics, what does that mean?

4. Dean Edge 09 Bass and Amp Pack

which includes:

The Dean Edge 09 Bass (Black or Red) and Amp Pack includes the Dean Edge 09 Bass Guitar, Dean Bassola 10 Bass Amp, gig bag, tuner, cord, strap, and picks.

for $199.99 or $173.99 for a Black blemished model

5. Ibanez GSR200 4-String Bass
    $199.99

All the above are new

I am open for suggestions, I like the shape of the above listed models and would like something in a wood finish. I particularly like the Matte Mahogany. As an Absolute Beginner will I miss not having 4 control knobs or even 5 strings for that matter.

Keep in mind my wife said if I do stay with it and really like it I can up grade later to a Warwick or higher end Ibanez or whatever I may want in reason probably $600 to $800 range (still on the low price side I know)

I am completely open to buying a used electric bass guitar but haven't a clue to what to look for.

Attached Files:

2. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    As much as I dislike Ibanez, that one looks pretty nice. I prefer just two control knobs (volume and tone) because it keeps it simple. You don't really need a 3 or 4 band EQ if you're just starting off.

The humbucker will give you good tone, and the bass looks nice and simple. I would go with that one.

3. Perplexed Guide

Perplexed Guide

Mar 16, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply, as an absolute beginner Electric Bass Guitar this looks pretty good, what kind of accessories are essential?

4. I would hit Craig's List. There is a ton of such beginner basses sold by disillusioned teenagers (often with comments like "this is a boring instrument").

Yamaha RBXs are also great beginner basses (lightweight, awesome neck, good tone).

You can get a beginner's bass with a 20W practice amp and a used Pandora PX4D for less than 200 on CL.

Look it up.

As for active electronics, those may be confusing for the beginner bassist. All you need at that stage is a volume(s) and tone (or a blender in the case of Yamaha).

5. Perplexed Guide

Perplexed Guide

Mar 16, 2009
    I checked my local craigslist and I found this listing at $250 OBO

The amp is Behringer, I have never heard of Cort do they make a decent beginner guitar?

attachment.

Attached Files:

6. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
  7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    damn. I was just about to post "In b4 SX"!
    haha, Personally I would go with that first Ibby. It looks nice, and I love that it has 1 vol and 1 tone and thats it.
    Don't knock that, as it comes standard on the quintessential American bass guitar!

.....fender p

8. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    +1 on SX also. I haven't played one, but a lot of people say they are great basses for the money.

Here's one in sunburst and with pickup covers:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/product932.html

(And for the heck of it, I'd love to hear an SX with Sadowsky pickups/electronics. But that's not the point of this thread).

Also, check out the used market. My Schecter C-4 cost me $270. I know that's over for what you are looking for but you might find a good deal on a bass that would cost you more new.

9. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
  10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The used U.S.A. built Peaveys are great bargains, and can usually be found for under $250.

Many of the ones listed by the O.P. are good choices, but I'd stick with the passive models myself for simplicity sake.

For new , my personal choice would be SX. These are an outstanding bargain at a rediculously low price. Good solid workable instruments for short short money.

Squier offers some good bang for the buck as well.

I've used an SX as my main gigging bass for over 3 years now, and used it for a back up to my vintage Fender before that. I really don't think there's a better bargain in a new bass out there. (required IMO)

11. Ibanez makes good basses, and their 'entry level' ones are usually good enough to eventually use as a 'back up bass' if you start playing out with groups. You'll also need a 15 to 30 watt practice amp of some sort, a shoulder strap (I'd also suggest strap locks), an instrument cable to connect the bass to the practice amp. Wouldn't hurt to buy an extra set of strings, too. Gig bag / case of some sort (some basses come with bags or cases; some don't; if the one you buy doesn't come with one, a cheap gig bag will run $25 to $30; more money gets a bag/case with more padding, extra zipper pockets, etc.) Get a practice amp that will let you plug in a set of headphones, there are going to be times when you're going to want to keep quiet when you practice; yes, you can practice acoustically (I do it a lot) but you really can't tell how much sustain you're getting, or if you're muting strings correctly, etc. unless you're hooked up through the amp...if this doesn't make sense yet, it will after you've started practicing with your bass!)

12. You will see a lot of used Squires on Craigslist as well. Some are good... others could be better.

If you have a bass player/guitar player friend who has been playing for a while... bring him with you.

13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i have an Ibanez GSR200 soundgear and i love it!
    SX basses are good quality and fairly inexpensive.

most any bassist will tell you that you will get your moneys worth if you go used.
    most cases, yeah, but not all the time.
    IMO you should keep that in mind.
    shopping for basses can be too fun, make a smart choice.
    play lots and actually experience and experiment with them, dont just buy one.

14. Foundations are great basses, but are they really good beginner basses?

I don't have an SX either, was looking for one as a comeback bass, but I found the RBX and I loved it right away.

15. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    My brother bought one of the Ibanez basses that you posted about first. He's new to bass, but has been playing guitar for over 40 years (we ain't spring chickens any more.) I haven't played it, but he is very pleased with it as a first bass.

He likes the tone and build quality. He's had a lot of instruments over the years and knows decent gear. Don't think you'd be too far off with it.

You'll still need an amp and cable as well as a strap. I would really consider getting one used. 35 watts will do to start. Should be loud enough for practice and still some decent tonal quality. I'd look for a Peavey, Fender or Ampeg amp. Go Craigslist, but DON'T get one of those 15 amp "practice" amps. Usually sound like a duck farting in a windstorm.

Take your bass and try out the amp. Make sure you can turn it up at least 2/3's of the way without distortion.

Have a lot of fun.

16. I've heard that the newer Fender Squier "reissue" series Jazz Basses, like the Classic '60s, are pretty decent. I haven't played one, though. You can find them used online for around $200.

17. I've seen some nice Squier Sunburst Jazz basses on craigs for cheap.
    Some include amps, cables, etc.
    I think that's the way to go.
    Bring someone with you to help if you're not confident with evaluation.
    Good luck.

S.

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Personally, SX basses are great new, and you can get them for that price.

In that price range, i would head for Ibanez and Cort. Cort is a Korean brand built in the same factory that does the Korean lines for many of the more well known brands, and the quality is excellent.

19. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Yea, the factory that makes Cort also made my Schecter. Really good build quality on that one.

You'll find some good player packs from Epiphone, Squier, Yamaha, and Maestro, for usually between $130 and $250.