Good beginner bass lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Iron Spyder, Oct 9, 2003.

1. I'm trying to compile a list of simple, but catchy bass lines that are suitable for beginners to play. Some that come immediately to mind are "Come Together" by the Beatles, "Badge" by Cream, and "Money" by Pink Floyd. Any other ideas?
  2. A intro Slap song that is good for starter slappers is Higher Ground by RHCP. its just an octave pattern starting on 0, 2, and 3. Thats like all the song, and it builds up endurance, since its a straight beat throughout.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any and all of the Rage Against The Machine songs.

Queen - Another one bites the dust
    EDIT; Gr i was just about to say Higher Ground. lol.
  4. I think some Police ones might be cool too..."Bed's Too Big Without You", "Can't Stand Losing You"
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm also some Nirvana ones, like the intro to Sliver.
  6. I aggree about Higher Ground. That is actually the very first slap tune I learned, because its so simple, yet fast and sounds cool! I would also suggest Bombtrack by Rage against the machine, and also sincerely me, so many ways, and scraped knees by New found glory.
  7. it's hard to say without knowing what kind of music you like but U2 have a lot. Like someone else said, The Police have some (Walking on the Moon, Message in a Bottle, and Roxanne are all pretty easy). Sunshine of Your Love by Cream is easy and easily recognizable.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Your name gave me a good idea, "Boris The Spider" by The Who. Pretty simple, yet really awesome.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "Long View" - Green Day
  10. All these punkrockbands have easy basslines. EX: When I come around by green day or self esteem by the offspring.

Some other easy basslines are Only For the Weak(first song I learned on bass) by In Flames and for whom the bell tolls by Metallica( the intro is really cool to play and will definately make a newbie feel good about playing).
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Anything from "Are you experienced?"

"Manic Depression"

Jimi didn't like a lot of the bass Noel Redding was putting down, so on some of the stuff he did the bass himself, so they sound pretty cool but are surprisingly simple.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My first slap tune too :)
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    the first song i learn was "seven nation army" by the white stripes... now i can't stand them

"the cure" has some easy bass lines and so does "smashing pumpkins"

ive only played for 4 and 1/2 months and i recently learned "journey to the end of east bay" by rancid and "black dog" by led zeppelin... i dont know if thats good considering how long ive played but i hope it is

"crane fist" by rancid is an easy but cool song to play... give it a try

"how many more times" by led zeppelin is an easy zeppelin song and so is "dazed and confused" (the bridge is kinda hard to do for a long time) and "communication breakdown" is cool

also, try some doors

edit:im trying "higher ground" and im having trouble slapping
  14. karmapunk

Jul 15, 2003
    having started a year ago, this is all familiar sounding stuff to me...:)

same with me, the first slap line i learned and forever my favorite is Higha grownd.

Lets see, my first song was "sunshine of your love". Everyone knows it, its catchy, easy, and stretches yourfingers a bit. "another one bites the dust" by queen is also good.

as you progress, "Journy to the end of east bay" by rancid is one you definately must have under your fingers. It impresses everyone, and is a fair challenge. Props to you zultan for getting that in 4.5 months. Thats not bad at all.

Playing bombtrack at speed using no open strings is a great way to snap your fingers, but is also really really really good to warm up to.

"Day tripper" up to speed is also lots of fun, as is "enter sandman" (if you play the intro guitar part, it makes it a bit more challenging).

Back to slap, i'd say give "aeroplane" by RHCP a whirl. Its extremely frustrating, but eventually you get it, and the non slap parts are still quite a challenge. (hey, its flea, what can i say).
  15. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    another good that i can play by rancid is "not to regret"... i still mess up sometimes tho

when i first started playing this was one of my favorite songs and its was my goal to play it

i should also mention that the 4.5 months ive played ive been teaching myself everything
  16. T4b

Oct 9, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've now been playing for about 2 months, so I'll list a few of the things I've been playing. Not exactly bass lines, mostly just interesting riffs.

Really simple:<ul>
    <li>Frere Jacques
    <li>Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
    <li>Happy Birthday

A little trickier:<ul>
    <li>Outro to 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac
    <li>'Dreaming of You' by The Coral
    <li>'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zeppelin

I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them now...:confused:
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd say that the starting point is whatever the bassist is listening to - most people's music collections include some simple yet effective basslines. That way, you make an immediate connection between their taste and playing ability.

Later on, classic riffs from a range of genres help the learner to broaden their horizons, but I'd start from where they're at and work out.

18. I agree with whoever said U2. Very simple, good sounding bass lines that really help a beginner learn how to keep the lines constant. One of the earliest songs I learned was "With or Without You." Very easy line to learn, yet for a beginner it's hard to keep it sounding even throughout the whole song. Then when someone masters it they can embellish and put in/take out whatever they want pretty easy because it's a constant rhythm.

And might I add that "Come Together" is a great song for having beginners learn slides and hammers/pulloffs. Good choice.
  19. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Teach the student some classic blues lines. They are easy to play, lots of CD's to use them on to practice. Easy to analyze the notes used. Good for teaching antisapting changes, also good ear training for main chord changes in most tunes. Easy to show them how to listen to the drums and other instruments to play as a group. Plus it starts teach playing with a feel. Gives them something to easy to jam with others with. get out in that garage and sweat.

There is a lot to learn when learning to play blues. Once a student gets a handle on playing the blues its easy to go any direction.
  20. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. It can get old though, but its still good to learn and a decent stretcher.

Actually I learned quite a few Stones songs when I started, its really quite handy because the lines are cool and innovative. Same goes for Creedence Clearwater Revival.