1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good beginner bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lkbass22, Mar 22, 2010.

1. lkbass22

lkbass22

Apr 21, 2009
    New York City
    Hi, I'm mainly an electric player but I'm looking to buy a DB and start learning it before I go off to college next year. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what brands/basses are good for a beginner at not too much money (my price range is roughly $1,200-1,500).

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  3. And if that is either A.) Out of your budget or B.) Not to your liking there is always Nick Lloyd in Cincinatti at nicklloydbasses.com

The Shen Hybrid would particularly be to your liking -the SB150.

EDIT: Just read your post -the consensus around here is that it takes just under 2000 (or as I understand it) to get a well-set up bass, with brand-name strings, a name-brand bass, and a decent bow. A bag is another couple hundred (or hundred I suppose.)

4. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I am renting a SB 150 right now. It plays and sounds very good. Better than some carved basses I have played. Great bang for the buck, IMHO. To the OP, if you fill out your profile a bit (like, your general location, at least) we might be able to give more specific information.

5. I would say that the 2k mark is a bit high, if you wait it out. You can find something for less if you look long and hard enough. I would say patience is a virtue for someone looking for their first bass on a budget.

6. lkbass22, why don't you fill out your profile and at least people will know where you're located. That can help with the recommendations....

7. lkbass22

lkbass22

Apr 21, 2009
    New York City
    I have been meaning to but forgot up till now to fill out my profile. I'm in NYC and that's the area (NYC metropolitan area) which I'm looking. Thanks for all the suggestions, my budget is 1500 originally but since it is a graduation present my budget might be a little flexible.

8. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I got my Shen SB80 for $1400 brand new, professionally setup, case and Helicore Hybrid strings included. It's an incredible bass for the money and in your price range.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020