Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good beginner books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by profesorfrink, May 25, 2005.

1. profesorfrink

profesorfrink

Feb 13, 2005
    NY
    Hey I am just starting bass and I got my bass and amp and such, and now since I dont have the funds to invest in a teacher I'm going to settle for books at the present. I have just ordered two books from amazon and want to know if they are any good. One i just bass guitar for dummies, while despite being from the franchise of "dummy" books, I heard was pretty good for beginners to beginner/intermediate. Also for more technical stuff like chords and scales I bought Serious Electric Bass: The Bass Player's Complete Guide to Scales & Chords (Contemporary Bass Series). I look forward to any replies or tips with these books especially.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not familiar with either of those; hopefully you can let US know soon.....

However, here's a third which I do like, it's free, and you can start today....

http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/

3. hunter1985

hunter1985

May 23, 2005
    I also got the "Bass Guitar for Dummies" book because of the positive reviews...seems like it covers just about everything. I'm going to start with that and take a look at other online articles after I get the base techs down. Thanks bigbeefdog for the guide.

4. wow awesome link thanks man!!!

5. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
  6. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Hi Prof,
    I've used the books you have and some others.
    The Dummies book, once you get past the title, is pretty good (my teacher likes it too) and may be all you need to get started. I particularly appreciate the sections on setup. But the over all approach is sound and the examples are fun.

I also have the Serious book (talk about a change in marketing slant!) I think it's good for reference and also has a useful section on setup and related issues. But all those relentless pages of the notes in the modes get on my nerves. I get it already! I can't say I've used it much at all, but, as I said, when you want a good reference for scales, theory or technical stuff, it's in there. And I like the fact that they don't print a tab (that must be what separates the Serious from the Dummy). Sight reading is half the battle, the tab is a miserable crutch and this book won't let you cheat--a good thing.

I've also used the Electric Bass intro series by Dave Overthrow
    It's a nice format and logical progression, but if you have the Dummies book you're OK, most of the beginner books cover the same ground.

Ed Friedland's books are all highly thought of, particularly his ones on Jazz, if you go in that direction.

I also got "The Bass Player Book" Same folks that brought you The Serious Bass Player, except this is more playful, though still plenty serious :) I learnd theory from this one and I like the examples they use of the various styles and the tips they sneek into the text. I found I've gone back to it several times. And it's got lots of pictures and some history.

Welcome to the bass comunity

John

7. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I second the books by David Overthrow. There are three in the Electric Bass series: beginner, intermediate and advanced. I got the intermediate one when I first started and I learned a lot about theory (it's a very understandable text). Plus, it's covers a wide variety of styles including blues, rock, jazz and funk. Heck, it even has the intro to Bombtrack by RATM in there (although in my book it says it's STP, hopefully they have corrected that by now :) )