1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good beginner effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stewart8980, Mar 20, 2009.

1. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Well, after being on TB for almost a year, and becoming happy with my playing ability, I've started to wonder the benefits of pedals for a bassist.

Anyone care to enlighten me on these little buggers? Also, any good pedas to possibly take a look at? I play all sorts of music, short of speed metal, so the possibilities are pretty open.

Thanks.

2. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    i think everybody needs to experience a "big muff pi" to get some great, sustaining, fuzz. that's where i'd start, actually that's where i did start.

3. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I am one of the more moderate guys here. I dont use very many effects and I dont use them often. That being said effects I do like for bass and I find useful are things such as delays, flanges and loopers. I prefer to call these clean effects. I use them for a creative clean tone more or less.

Effects that dirty up my tone im not to keen on as I have had an EXTREMELY hard time finding ones that suited me well. Although The Sansamp VT Bass character pedal can dirty up my tone without losing all of my clarity or going too overboard. This pedal makes it nice for when I want something a little less polite so to speak.

The possiblities are endless. Although I recomend going to a music store and trying pedals out with a similar if not exact setup that of your own before buying experiment. It can be a lot of fun.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Figure out exactly what it is you want first. If you're looking for a sampler platter, check out a multi-effects pedal and try everything on its menu. After that, you'll have an idea of what you're looking for.

5. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    this is what i am currently doing. i still havent played with everything on it yet. i got a Boss GT-6B. its pretty fun. the distortion/fuzz on it is nice. makes me wonder what a real distortion pedal sounds like though :p

6. I'd suggest the site http://www.bassfuzz.com/ and check out the reviews, pedal selection is going to vary totally on your playing style and what sound you're after.