Good beginners bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBeckstars, May 22, 2005.

1. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005
    Thinking about getting the Squier MB-4...

Big newb question: Is there a different b/w the MB-4 with the skull design and the regular one (quality, sound etc) or is it just the design

My price range is about 100-300 dollars

Any other suggestions?
  2. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm not a fan of the Squire basses. I have just found the quality to be very spotty.

Check out these. They are very decent basses to start out on.

Ibanez GSR200 $ 200.00

Yamaha BB404 $199.00 (these have been discontinued and are on clearence at GC/MF/Music 123 etc.) Be warned though if you buy it on line the Blue color is really cheesey looking. The black and burgandy colors look good though.

Yamaha RBX170 $ 179.00

Essex basses are thought of pretty highly around here as beginner basses. You may want to check them out.

I would recommend any of those over the Squires.

Oh! and no. There is no no difference between the two Squires other than that really cool skull decal.
  3. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005
    So the Ibanez GSR200 is good?

Should I push the extra 100 and get the MB-4 Squier? It has a lot better reviews than the GSR200, but the GSR200 looks pretty good too. What do you guys think?

Thanks srxplayer for replying.

Any other suggestions?
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Get an SX - the prices just dropped on Rondo's site for a couple of them.

Great stuff...
  5. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005
    I've never heard of SX basses. Can anyone tell me how the quality of SX guitars are? They look pretty sweet.
  6. I'd say it's best to stay away from that Squier (or just about any Squier basically).

I'd go for either the Essex or Yamaha. Personally, I'd lean towards the Yamaha (get the BB404 if you can, if not the RBX170), since I've had alot of experience with yamahas and found that regardless of price, they can rarely be beat in their price range.
  7. I'd stear clear of the Squires as well. SX (or Essex if you read the megathread!) are great for the price. I've been playing for 15 years and have one as a play thing that I've been Frankensteining over the last few months. Standard, they play well and sound good. Cheap enough to modify later as well. The Yamaha's are good basses for the $ and as a rule, Yamahas are really well made with a high degree of quality control.
    Squires can be down right nasty.
    That's just my $0.02 worth.
  8. Basis Base

Basis Base Life Long Learner

May 21, 2005
    I have the new GSR version which is an active bass. Bought it for little a more than U$200. I guess it's the cheapest active bass around. This one has a Phat II bass boost pot.

I'd say the build quality is pretty good. The feel is light & the neck thickness is comfortable for beginners. The bass also has the overall look & feel of a pretty decent rock bass. It can't go wrong in any setting though.

But the sound is another matter. It's a bit snarly & doesn't really sound that nice for any mellow stuff. Well, that's how it feels through my combo though.

I've tested the Yamaha RBX & it's ok too. But it's a passive bass. The price is attractive though. My advice is, please test play all the beginner basses you can get your hand on.

Not everybody's taste & requirement are the same. You should only buy a bass that you are comfortable with. Normally the things to check for are the weight, the feel of the neck, the body contour & of course the sound.
  9. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ibanez GSR190. Real solid starter bass.
  10. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005
    Is it possible to find the BB404 (not left-hand) or the BB1500A? They're really hard to find, but I'm willing to get them =O
  11. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    my opinion on the matter:
    Get an SX from
    Pick one of the sub-$100 ones, get it setup for you by your teacher, or a local guitar tech, and go at it.

Work your chops up for a year or so, play other people's basses, basses in stores, etc, and once you decide what your style is and what you like, take all the money you saved on this bass and put it towards your dream bass.

Not much sense paying $300 now for a bass you might not want to play in a few years, and you can always sell that SX for most of what you paid for it, maybe more if you're lucky. As you can see above, many people really like the SX's, so it'll make a great backup bass down the road if you decide not to sell it. Also, toss some new pickups in there and many people compare them favorably to the midrange Fenders.
  12. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005
    Yeah, I'm thinking of starting out cheap, but a friend said too cheap is bad? Is that true?

I found the BB404 for about that a good price?

As for SX guitars, I'm thinking about getting the 130-150 dollar ones. Are they decently good (sound and all)?

Or should I get the RBX170 for about 180?

Starting out cheap sounds good, but I don't want a too cheap one.
  13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez..

I have a GSR100... it's the 200 w/out the J-bass pick-up.

I loved that thing, untilI outgrew it.. then I modded it to add active pickups and 2-band EQ (yeah bartolini). I still love it now!

It's really playable from day one. It doesn't weigh a ton (like the Squire's) and it stays in tune fairly well (again, unlike the Squire's)

Ibanez has an "amp pack" where you get bass, practice amp, gigbag, strap, tuner, cables, and some extra goodies... checkm out your local store, or online.. they usually run about $300 or so.
  14. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

I have seen the BB404 going for $199.00 @ Guitar Center. The local store near me has a few of them left. Check out They will have some on clearance for $199.00 also.

The BB404 is not really considered a cheap starter bass like a an RBX or GSR but they are available pretty cheap right now. You will get a little better quality for a starter bass price with it and you won't really need to up grade as soon.
  15. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Just realized that the on line stores have sold out of the BB404, other than the left hand models.

If you have a GC near by you may find one there.
  16. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005
    Yeah, I'll go check out my GC and see if they have the BB404. Thanks, srxplayer!

So basically, start off with a decent priced bass, then get better ones later on?
  17. My first was a Peavey Milennium @219.00 through MF. beautiful sunburst finish. I had bought the Squier P-bass special. I sent it back, bad finish, looked and felt really cheap, sounded like crap.The Peavey was nice, played well, low action. Check them out.
  18. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i feel bad saying it but.... do you know how to adjust a neck/action?

Im definatly not one to teach, but a real setup should be factored into the cost of a bass. If its not setup correct (as shipped most of the time) it will just lead to frustration down the road.

A pro can your bass setup so much better I think its worth it to have it done

Shops normally charge 40-80 which is sad i know, but keep it in mind.
  19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    squiers definately suck. if you want a fender, just get a MIM or Mexican jazz or precision used. they are better quality and you could get one for under 300 bucks. I also would say that the yamaha rbx is a great bass. It was my starter bass and i really enjoyed it, it had a nice neck and played real well.
  20. TheBeckstars

May 22, 2005